Needing to know.

• 19 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Needing to know.
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:19 »
Can anyone tell me what Parsnip looks like when it first breaks the surface of soil. I have had a right old game until now and find myself looking at everything near to where I hope my germinated seeds should be. Of course a photo would be top notch.

Grubbypaws

Re: Needing to know.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 13:21 »
Here is a photo. I hope that this helps. I don't have any that are just breaking the soil but they sort of uncurl.
parsnipsgerminating.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 16:08 »
The first seed leaves are simple leaves as above, the next ones are very different
parsnip seedlings.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 16:30 »
Yes I agree with mum, the 1st true leaves are very different to the first leaves which are seed leaves, mums picture shows it very well
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 16:44 »
I tend to leave the whole bed until the difference between weed and parsnip is evident. About 1.5 inches should be about right to spot the difference...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 17:20 »
Good afternoon  Russell,  next year sow radishes along the same line with your parsnips, they come up sooner and will indicate the row in which you planted parsnips.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 20:20 »
Can anyone tell me what Parsnip looks like when it first breaks the surface of soil. I have had a right old game until now and find myself looking at everything near to where I hope my germinated seeds should be. Of course a photo would be top notch.

I'm having the same issues, Russell. I've got all sorts of little weeds flourishing where I sowed my parsnips and had no idea which, if any, were parsnips, so I'm grateful for those photos. :)

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 12:15 »
Hey to everyone. I think that I made an excellent move by braving it and joining this website. It's good to know that there are people who are not too far up their own butts to give a real beginner a bit of time. So once again thanks to you all.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 12:50 »
If I had taken the picture today the baby parsnips would be horizontal and flattened by the wind  :(

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 13:23 »
After reading Grubbypaws last message, I want to ask if Parsnip is good at recovering from this sort of thing. Where I am, and the patch of ground my snips are in, is battered by very strong winds at times. Trying to construct a form of protection might prove difficult.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 14:33 »
After reading Grubbypaws last message, I want to ask if Parsnip is good at recovering from this sort of thing. Where I am, and the patch of ground my snips are in, is battered by very strong winds at times. Trying to construct a form of protection might prove difficult.

I will let you know if mine recover. They are small and very fragile with only one true leaf at the moment. It is just an unfortunate time to have such an unseasonally strong wind.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 12:55 »
Parsnip are very slow to germinate and usually the weeds are well ahead of them. I germinate on wet paper and grow on in toilet rolls. As soon as the leaves emerge I plant out . I use a 2l plastic bottle with top and bottom cut off. It acts as a marker and also protects the young plants from the cold wind.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35 »
Ivor, I'm interested to know which month you start and then plant out your Parsnip. If a bottle with the top/bottom cut off works well at keeping cold out, then I think it ought to b e given a go.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 17:32 »
I keep a computer diary for my allotment. It shows that I put parsnip to soak on wet kitchen paper on the 12/2/20 and transferred the germinated seed into toilet rolls on the 27/2/20. I transplanted the toilet rolls on the 14/3/20, when the first sign of a green leaf shows. Leave it later and the root may emerge from the bottom of the tube and can get damaged. Plant the tube fully in the ground and water in well. Place the plastic tube around the toilet roll and leave until the plants are fully established.
These tubes protect all sorts of young plants not just from the cold but also from the birds. Also when watering half fill the tube and let it soak down to the roots.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 17:51 »
Ivor, I think what you are doing with your Parsnip routine will surprise a great percentage of the people who read this page. I had to look up where Denbighshire is, and I would be sure that you are still in pretty adverse weather on 14/3/20. I don't know if your system is practiced by many folks around, but I'm 100% certain it should be. You can consider me converted anyway.

xx
New allotment owner needing help

Started by brooks184 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 21:22
by matty42
xx
Chilli plants needing IDs

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 17:01
by alibean
xx
Newby needing advice please

Started by Outofdepth on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 22:19
by Outofdepth
xx
Newbie needing soil advice

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:05
by peapod

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 56 queries.