the new skip diver and scroungers bit

• 29 Replies

shaun

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 21:55 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I need a roofrack or the loan of a van to get some more pallets though

go for a trailer noshed so when you join the rotavator gang you can transport it around  :D
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 22:12 »
i see shaun asking for a bashing here lol
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 22:14 »
i have a vision of noshed asking all types of rotavator questions  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 09:06 »
We are getting better at recycling, as you all know, we get loads of old wooden door and window frames from the conservatory place I clean for, the other week we got a lovely mahogany door for my friend and OH has made the frame from another old mahogany frame that we picked up earlier, I've got windows for cold frames, and our old goat shed frame is made up from long lengths of 3x2 that we got when our friend packed up his turkey business in Essex, they were full of the hooks where he used to hang them up.

Both my greenhouses are second hand, my polytunnel and OH's big shed/workshop was bought second hand, as was my shed, but my little shed was the security guys hut when I worked for Taylor Woodrow on the local tesco extension.  We also got loads of wood from there, plus 30 tonnes of block paving, wood, plasterboard and loads of roof tiles they were going to skip.  Someone on site gave me a caravan because I was going to go with TW to their next job, but I fell ill so couldn't do it, but I got £100 for the caravan on Ebay.

muntjac

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 12:09 »
corrr your a real grabbit grannie .. it must be the lincolnshire blood like wot i got .... or u been sucking in that air well  :wink: well i  i have had wood   lorry loads of it delivered free ,many many times . what i dont use i burn the rubbish n the posts go for 10x 4x4 inch for £4 a pop.planks i usually keep myself , had greenhouses .load of mulch from where they chopped up the school hedges to build new class rooms  , glass windows from the council when they replaced em with double glazing in the village .doors make great compost bins . half tonne sand and again a load of ballast 3 bags cement from council lol when they did the kitchens . loads of work surface from same , old kitchen units make fantastic storage in the game sheds, a load of plyboard packing from where the parish council had built a new play court in the park next door it held the metal railings and basketball back boards , sold that 2days later £60 ,  12 tonnes crushed cockle shell from the old village herring net store and shell fish house when they closed it down to be a museum ... i went n sold that to the golf course for pathway stuff across the links  :lol:  £20 a ton and they collected it  :wink: i just used farm bucket tractor to load it . rabbit fencing wire . a farm adjacent to the estate had gone into liquidation  and had been in the process of having it installed .knowing the owner i asked him if he was gona finish it before they took the farm  from him..".like fffffff he said .you take it all away " 16 x 50 metre rolls straight to auction mate  :wink:  load of chucks ducks n geese from a smallholding that had problems running i bought the whole stock for £300 .and £ 100 for all the equipment . feeders drinkers etc . and i wont go on cos im just the best .... modest arent  :wink:  :oops:

noshed

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 12:51 »
Sadly I've nowhere to keep a trailer, otherwise I'd have had one off a bloke at work. Also I'm not sure how the car would react, quite a lot of it has been welded already.
My mattock fits in the boot nicely however and doesn't need spannering in any way.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 14:17 »
I didn't think modest was in your vocabulary Karl!!!!!! lol  :lol:   And it must be the Lincolnshire air that does it, as I'm a Kentish Maid, so no lincs blood in me!

I didn't used to be like I am, My Mum always told me off if she caught me going to a jumble sale "You never know what you might catch!!", but it has been born of necessity, like so many people.

I am now trying to teach my friend Sharon a few things.  She has started looking in skips now, we got her a lovely stair rail from her next door neighbours who bought their house same time as her, but had lots of work done!  The man next door gave me one of those cork noticeboards with loads of pins he was going to chuck, so that's in my 'office' and a tall chrome bathroom shelving unit, which Sharon fancied because it was thinner than hers which didn't fit her new bathroom, and she gave me her other one, and at the moment, that is in my small greenhouse, will be handy for taking seed trays!

Oh and yes, my Brian's shed is full of old kitchen units too, and old worktops make good bench tops for him!  Never thought about the old doors as compost bins though!  My compost heap is just a BIG heap, about 3 foot wide and 15 foot long, but it has gone down a lot since last summer!!!!

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 15:15 »
ha muntjac
i thought my oh was bad til i read this got water pipe from builders skip to build polytunnel ,scaffolding poles boards and net from mate ,10 garage doors 2 rolls tennis court wire,roll of chicken wire ,pallets ,nails and tin sheets from work,wheelbarrow and roll of plastic off guy who pointed our house chicken shed free 3 ducks 1 drake free im never sure whats getting dropped off when he pulls up in his wagon

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 16:31 »
Well, I've just been to see the shed I've been given...it's on another allotment 20 miles away and I'm going to have to dismantle it on Sunday. It's one third of a massive shed that the bloke cut in two and took the big bit for his garden and made the other bit into an allotment shed...it's still 8x5. It's been rolled over in the high winds and is now on a neighbouring allotment.

I am really looking forward to creating Shangri La out of the bits.

By the way Munty, whereabouts in Lincs were you from...I lived there as a child (the Isle of Axholme). :)
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

muntjac

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 21:38 »
louth near grimsby mate

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 21:43 »
Aaah, lovely Louth. I went to school in Scunthorpe and worked in Market Rasen (on a farm) one summer....then I worked in Gainsborough for a few months...happy days! :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 21:46 »
yups we had a farm coast side when i was a  kid

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 22:15 »
We lived in a village called 'Westwoodside' not too far from Epworth (home of the Wesleys)...in the middle of blooming no-where as far as I was concerned...anyway, half the village were small-holders and I think it was then I developed my love of growing stuff and also scavenging stuff...everyone was at it.

Having said that...I think you might just be the best scavenger going.

I think you are my hero!

:lol:

muntjac

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 22:17 »
oooooooer . im a hero to an axe man?,,, glad im not an anti hero lmao :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 21:17 »
heres one the obelisks i made
picture  1

picture 2

the pattern is very simple  cut 2 6ft x 3 pallet planks down the middle using a bench saw or hand saw ,you can use a jig saw but it will take time . cut a 12 inch  piece and a 4 inch piece and screw them as shown in the picture 2 . make 3  for a pyramid obeliskor 4 for  erm wahteverthey cal a 4 sided one , you can add more as you wish tie them together to aid dismantling at the end of the season .. using horse shoe tacks put a 6 inch nail on the end of each upright leg and stick this in the soil ,, using old engine oil dip the wood enhds in it to soak for a night this preserrves the wood . paint the rest with whatever you fancy , incidently if you cannot get the pallets buy some roofing battens from the timber merchant 50p each approx around here :wink: 12 ft long by 1.1/2 x 1inch

xx
Skip stuff

Started by stentman on Frugal Living

24 Replies
Last post January 02, 2010, 21:34
by Paul Plots
xx
skip diving!

Started by fish on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 17:33
by Leaf
xx
Skip Diving

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:53
by Yorkie
xx
Magic skip!

Started by amc on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:08
by titch

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.