can i just have confirmation that.....

• 5 Replies

Daytrader

can i just have confirmation that.....
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:41 »
Hi my 1st post here, but i have been loitering for a while, anyway, can i just have confirmation that pea's dont need feeding as they feed themselfes, mine are in big pots as my garden soil is very bad, there planted in westland vegetable growbags compost that i put into big pots, they are doing great and now have flowers and pods on, but i know my chillis and tomatoes need weekly feeding, but a few people i have asked say pea's should not/dont need feeding, thx

bigben

Re: can i just have confirmation that.....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:47 »
DD is the man for peas but while you are waiting for the correct answer I will risk mine- I think You are correct in saying they fix their own nitrogen but I think they can benefit from a top up especially if you have them in pots where the nutrient supply is limited..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53 »
Never fed peas in my life!

They sound as if they're doing OK, so just carry on. They don't need much apart from a humus rich soil, which you'll have in the compost.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:00 »
If you give peas any nitrogen they grow twice as high as it says on the packet.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:10 »
If you give peas any nitrogen they grow twice as high as it says on the packet.

Good job I didn't feed my Wilkinson's sugarsnap peas then as they are nearly 7 feet tall (and there was no mention of height on the packet!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Daytrader

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi guys, thx for all the reply's, yes the westland vegetable growbag compost i am useing seems to be fine, so no feeding the pea's, thx again.

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 36 queries.