HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen

• 18 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen
« on: February 01, 2009, 18:39 »
I have 10 hens various ages and breeds.. All of them are looking really fit and well except one she is a white Pekin....Not sure how old she is prob a couple of years...lovely feathers, looking quite glamerous but with a very pale comb which got paler over last couple of days...at the same time although she has been eating and drinking she has been just sitting and sleeping a lot and has not been wandering around (thy free range and live in omlet cube).

Today I saw one of the other girls bullying her.

Went out for a couple of hours and when I came back she was crouching under the hen house with a slight tear in her comb and her head covered in blood...I thought at first she was dead but she wasn't, just very shocked.  I have brought her indoors and she is in acat box full of straw, just sitting there, she doesn't move when I pick her up, she just opens her eyes!

I have also noticed that whilst I was nursing her 2 little "things" ran accross my arm? very tiny, smaller than a cat flea.  Ihave looked though her feathers and even though she is pure white I cannot see anything on her??????

Feel totally helpless...No problem if she were a human cos I am a nurse, I know what to do for us!  Advice appreciated...thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 18:40 by richyrich7 »

Jellyhead

Re: HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 18:45 »
I would smother her comb in tea tree cream or whatever else someone else on here recommends. Tea tree works for me, the chooks hate the smell so they stop pecking AND its an antiseptic. You also need to give her an anti louse treatment. If you have cats you could use a pipette and put 1 drop on the back of the neck of ALL your chooks ;) Then I would give the coop a thorough clean out and treat that as well. Hope everything works out.
Jelly :)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 18:48 »
Sounds like she may have lice or something, definately worth trying to treat her for them (I think there's a sticky with info on it).
I have found that if one of my hens is poorly the others will appear to gang up on her and attack - possibly instinctively keeping the flock healthy?  Hopefully yours is just lousy and feeling the same and will be better soon.

Oh yes - and if one has lice the others will too .... and you will probably starting (psychologically) too!

Hope shes better soon
Janet

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 18:52 »
Thank you...do I use the "frontline" for cats stuff?  Do I buy it over the counter or need a vet? thanks

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 21:56 »
I've used one drop of frontline for cats in the past and it worked wonders - much easier than lice powder.
I think you can get it over the counter in some places  - our farmer's supply shop sells it, but I  got mine from the vet - I have cats and didn't say I would use some of it on the girls

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 21:58 »
You can get it online as well probably cheaper than a vet try www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 22:14 »
Strangely enough, yesterday when I went to collect the eggs, one of my white Amberlinks was sitting in the corner, I assumed laying an egg, but she was there for quite a long time.  I picked her up and the others had been pecking her comb and the top of her head was red, so I wiped off as much as I could, then smothered all her comb and top of her head with the vaseline and liquid paraffin mix I keep ready, but apparently liquid paraffin is harder to get now, and someone on here also suggested mixing in some baby oil withethe vaseline, and like Jelly said, a lot of people swear by tea tree.  which I'll try when I run out of liquid paraffin.

When I put her down, she just sat down straight away and wouldn't walk, so I thought we might have to put her down.  Anyway, I put her in the polytunnel with some food and water and she ate well, but didn't move.  It was nice and warm in there so I shut the door so the free range girls wouldn't bother her and looked at her a couple of times.  when I went to get her last night to put her back in with the others, she was in a different position and had laid an egg.  So I have a feeling, she was either having trouble laying her egg, or maybe she has gone a bit broody (she was in the same place today and tried to peck at me when I looked for her egg!) But today she has been fine and no one is pecking her.

I do help your little girl will be okay. Try not to keep her away from the others for too long, or she will lose any standing she has in the pecking order and it will be like putting a new girl in with them.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:53 »
Good morning! "peace" is much better this morning she is moving around a bit, but still looks unwell and sort of vague?  ..we kept her in all night but I do want to get her out as soon as poss although there is quite a bit of snow so I think I will put her outside a little later when it may have warmed up a bit... the other girlies are outside enjoying the snow!

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 19:54 »
Poorly hen is still indoors... she has made a noise a couple of times and has had quite a lot of water to drink... no interest in food.  I have taken her out of the cat basket/box thingy and she is just sitting at the side of it moving a little...she moves her head and looks up when I speak to her...oh dear.....Now I am thinking do I put her out of her misery    :blush: (I would hate to think that she was suffering) or do I just watch and wait?

Vember

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 20:16 »
She's not egg bound is she??

Crumb (goose) acted in exactly the same way, sitting a lot, drinking alot but no interest in food and just making quite hummm type noise as if giving up :(
I noticed her botty puckering alot and on closer exam found an eggy stuck.

I squirted oil in her vent which abled her to pass the egg and she perked up next day :)

Just a thought that sprung to mind reading your post :)
Hope she picks up for you.

Sarah :)

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 20:34 »
Couldn't see anything odd in that department when I was checking to see if I could find mites/fleas on her...will have a more thorough poke around.....just in case.

Vember

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 20:42 »
If her comb is pale (which I hadn't read before - sorry ) then chances are it isn't that :(
Just suddenly came to me when I read your last post.

Will keep everything crossed that she picks up for you :)

Sarah :)

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:42 »
Well "Peace" has made it through the night and seem a little brighter...she is pecking at some bread (she hasn't eaten anything for 2 days) ....not building my hopes up as she still looks very frail...Ah well at least she has had a chance ...as I write this she has just started preening herself....

Jellyhead

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 12:03 »
Ah thats a good sign then. Try and give her bread thats been soaked in water so it doesnt swell. Fingers crossed from over here ;)

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:08 »
Sorry to go on about this but the situation is......hen much better and has gone outside with head covered in vasaline and tea tree oil!  Immediately her "friend" who she came with when we got her and was inseperable from came rushing to meet her...ahhhhhh I thought...BUT NO she was very aggressive and started pecking her...then a couple of the others had a go at her... one had to be removed by force!!!!!  Even one of the ducks attacked her.

She is now on her own away from the others and they have not gone after her... I do not want to bring her in as she will, I pressume, have to go through this each time she returns to the others...Oh dear!

xx
Bleeding After First Egg

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 15:54
by LittleRedHen
exclamation
Bleeding toe!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 19:06
by Pretty Chick
xx
Bleeding from eye

Started by ktc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 07:23
by sneezer
xx
Bleeding Comb

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:41
by Lynda_T

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.