cocker spaniel,5 weeks old with cleft palate

• 10 Replies

tamjam

cocker spaniel,5 weeks old with cleft palate
« on: February 08, 2011, 23:37 »
hi was wondering if anyone could help me???
had a litter of 6 puppies 5 weeks ago, all doing really well except for one which had problems latching on to the mother, we took over and bottle fed the little one and although there have been problems along the way( inhaling milk and chest infections) she's done really well, started to eat solid foods about a week ago along with her milk too but kept hearing a rattleing noise that wasn't coming from the chest, after another trip to the vets he noticed a cleft palete ( in the soft palate) that hadn't been noticed before as she's so tiny!  the breeder that we used to sire the puppies has said all along that it may be a cleft palate and if yes the pup should be put down but the vet has said that she's got this far and she's got a great chance of surviving with a 50/50 chance of needing an op to sort it in the future! we absolutely love our little pup more than words can say and have spent every hour of the last 5 weeks raising her so don't want to have to say goodbye if there is a chance of her overcoming this but at the same time and for the same reasons we don't want to see her spending the rest of her life going in and out of vets as she has done so far as thats no fun for a little dog or having to have countless operations!!! i guess i'm just asking for back up??? has anyone else experienced this??? have they made it through the other end with a happy animal??? please say yes as i adore her but also i'm responsible and will do the best for her whatever that may be.
thanks and look forward to hearing from you x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: cocker spaniel,5 weeks old with cleft palate
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:35 »
depending on the severity (and your little one doesn't sound too bad) they can heal up by themselves and go on to live a happy life. If severe then euthanasia is recommended but if not too severe then either an operation or nature can cure the problem. Take note of what your vet has to say (they do care and aren't in it just for the money) and good luck xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:57 »
Hi, I have no experience of having a dog with this so only can offer my support .
You have done a great job so far and Joyfull is right
good luck xx
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 15:16 »
Hi, I have never experienced this before in a pup but I can only echo what other people have said and if you've brought her this far, why not give her that chance of life? 

Vets don't lightly suggest things and if they felt she had no hope of a normal life, they would have made that clear to you.

Good luck whatever decision you make.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 15:28 »
please do keep us informed regarding this as I would love to know how she gets on. Also cleft pallets can be hereditary especially in short nosed dogs.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 15:36 »
I have no experience with this Tamjam but wanted to wish you all the best.  Also Im sure Im not alone in thinking it would be lovely to see your pups.  Can you add a pic?

jools

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 16:16 »
I would go with your vet. She won't need countless operations, as long as you can afford the one major op if she still needs it as she gets older, i'd go for it. You must be very attached with having to take extra care of her.

Love to see pics of pups. :)

Spana

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 16:40 »
I can only echo what the others have said.  You sound to me as if you will always do what is in the pups best interest.  :)

The only experience I have of cleft pallet was in a little Highland calf last year.  She also had a neck deformity.  The vet said if it had been just the cleft pallet it would have been worth trying to rear her but with the neck problem as well he thought it best to put her down. 

If your little pup is doing well despite the cleft pallet i would certain give her a chance.   :)

Good luck to both of you.  Hope the other little un's find nice homes :)

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 13:31 »
I am a dog breeder and fortunatly have never experienced this problem. Ive never had to make a choice like this but i have had to say goodbye and very quickly to pups that arnt right .

think of the pup and how it may wel develop a lung infection and what its future life will be considering the operation it will undoubtly have to have, the expence the suffering of the tiny puppy etc , only you can make a judgement on that .

a fellow breeder had a pup which had a blood vessel wound round the oesophagus , this vessel should have  shut off at birth , but was making the pup regurgitate its food and not thrive, so she had a pretty big operation done , sadly it did not work , so pup suffered for no good reason , tho im sure a cleft palate operation is not quite the same thing its all things to consider .

Because i dont agree with your views it does not mean im judgeing you , its a very personal thing and you must go with your concience .

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 13:39 »
How is the little one Tamjam?
As for Rhiannons point of view - I think we would all agree if the pup would have a poor quality of life then it would be kinder to let go however this seems to be a mild case so fingers crossed it will self heal.
What breed of dogs do you have Rhiannon? My avatar is my Neapolitan mastiff whose mum was kicked out (whilst carrying pups) as she needed an operation for cherry eye, ingrowing eye lashes and a joint problem, but luckily for her the rescue centre paid for her operations (it was then that they found out about the pups) and I am in contact with her owners and she is blooming just like my Olliepops  :D

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38 »
Chow chows , to we have owned and shown OES GSD Elkhounds and Shar Pei  . Strangely last night i was called accross by the neighbour to her bitch, the garden is unfenced and htis bitch is entire , she was in first stage labour and bless her about 6 years old , no one seemed concerned as the two daughters who live away with partners had bitches that had unplanned cross breed litters . i was steaming but you cant launch into a lecture , its too late and it falls on deaf ears anyway.

There was a big upsurge in Neopolitan some time ago  as there was with Dogues due to the Turner and Hootch  film.

I know the world isnt perfect but i do get upset over the treatment of creatures that cant defend themselves, at least its a bright light to see people like yourself who do care  :D

To crown it all i came back home to find one of the thousands of cats my neighbour has on my chicken shed roof... our house/garden is like Fort Knox but i think that just seems to attract them more...her cats get poisoned and shot but still she trotts off to the cat shelter to get more . When my 3rd one got run over in Selsey i gave up cats as i felt it wasnt fair to them where i lived, again tho its points of view an i dotn belive i should thrust mine on anyone just put it forth for consideration.

xx
cleft palate in labrador puppy

Started by animal mad on Pets without Feathers

27 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 21:12
by flitwickone
xx
i need help with my spaniel

Started by rachelr on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 23:59
by ManicMum
xx
weaping eye on spaniel

Started by Celery on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 10:22
by twissle
xx
two weeks and counting!!!

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 13:52
by Thrift

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.