no courgettes

• 22 Replies

prikay

Re: no courgettes
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 22:13 »
Same here. The Yellow courgette plant we have has a small courgette that seems to have been the same size for weeks - about 3inches long. This time last year we were knee deep in them. Ah well next year hopefully

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:15 »
I've just posted in daily harvest kermit. Yesterday there was a tiddler, a getting on for half decent sized one hiding and a deformed one where only the bottom end was growing properly. Dodgy bit chopped off, they all went nicely in the omelette anyway. Still, its not good enough for this time of year.  :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35 »
Had four little-finger sized yellow courgettes off the outside ones for tea last night, as I'm off on my holidays on Saturday. They were lovely but had been on the plant for a couple of weeks without getting any bigger.

But the plants in the greenhouse are even worse. One courgette from 6 plants (yes, I know, what was I thinking!).... and then pulled two out last night as they were all but dead. Wondering if I over-wated them and killed the roots....?

Worst ever year (not that I've been growing all that long!)

Maybe doesn't help that it was 12C/52F here yesterday  :ohmy: , hasn't been above 14C all week, and has not stopped raining

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 12:23 »
If you feed them, use tomato food, otherwise you'll encourage more leaves....

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 20:49 »
Had a conversation with a guy today who is 100% organic and been growing for as long as I've been alive.  He said that most courgettes that get powdery mildew have been planted out too early.  I know I was guilty of that having planted mine on the glorious easter sunday most of us had. 
Will try to use more patience next year!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 21:35 »
In my experience courgettes always finish up with mildew (not sure what it's got to do with being organic or planting out early other than that the longer they have been in the ground the sooner they will succumb, but that's because they get knackered quicker!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 23:16 »
mildew is what tends to happen when the humidity is high, but the roots are dry.
That's why it has appeared on out site over the last week or so :(.....and to pour cold water over the theory above................early planted and late planted have all succumbed.

The ones in the garden are still ok cos they get watered more ;)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 16:43 »
Well I have tried chopping back hard - twice now, and still no female flowers. It is growing quite differently to the other two plants as well, instead of having one main stem off which the courgettes grow, this plant has lots of 'branches' and is just producing lots and lots of male flowers. It looks very vigorous, but there must be something wrong with it surely? The other two plants, which have done quite well, are slowing down as well now, so I'm going to feed them all with tomato food this evening, then see what happens...
Rachael

xx
courgettes

Started by chris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 20:54
by Yorkie
xx
big courgettes lol

Started by Callie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 13:06
by mumofstig
xx
Please help my courgettes!

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 19:48
by sunshineband
xx
courgettes

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:51
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 38 queries.