3 questions: chili, chili and peat pots

• 5 Replies

mushroom

« on: July 04, 2007, 22:03 »
Hi folks,

1. Are all chilis annual or biannual or perennial or are different types of chili any one of the 3?

2. Would it be feasible, in your opinion, if other than annual, to sow now pot a couple of months later, take it indoors in october and xplant to 20cm pots next spring?

3. If (something) is raised in a peat pot, filled with peat, (apologies this is almost certainly a stupid question)  :oops: DOES IT HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM THE PEAT POT WHEN TRANSPLANTED? I'm worried about rootball penetrating peat pot.

9f. Are chilis spelled chilis or chillis or chilies or chillies

I thank you

Fat Hen

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 22:43 »
Most chillis are perenial and can be overwintered indoors.  However I lost all mine last year to fungus brought on by whitefly attack.

Chillis definitely benefit from an early start as they take so long to ripen anywhere between 60 - 100 days depending on variety.  I aim to sow mine twds end of Jan as then the days are starting to get longer, some start Nov previous yr but not sure if artificial lighting reqd.

They need a steady temp of around 25 deg C to germinate.

Check out:  http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php  for lots of info regarding chillis.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:32 »
I raised my brassicas in peat pots, the only thing I did was to rip the bottom off when planting, I though it might help the roots get out easier, my cabbage etc plants are coming on really well done this way.
Paul

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:37 »
The spelling of chilli's, chillies, or what ever way is down to regional and national spelling, in the uk we grow them as annuals, this is generally for two reasons, one is the amount of light we get during winter, and second is temperature, you can overwinter the bush type like bolivian rainbow, however you may notice a drop in the amount of fruit the following year and to be honest is it really worth it? Chillies are very easy to grow and like Fat hen above says some do like to be started off early, cayennes, jalapeno are all ok for march sowings but Habernero's will do better in a heated greenhouse with a early sowing. I dont you use the peat pots normally but if you are transplanting cut carefully the bottom off so the roots can get out quicker.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 13:44 »
I overwintered a couple of small chilli plants last year on the windowsill inside. The advantage of this was earlier chillis this year :)

This year I plan to do the same again. I did find the overwintered ones benefitted from fresh compost and a good feed in spring. The yield so far seems just as good as last year, certainly enough for my family needs.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

mushroom

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 17:50 »
thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm off to get some seeds, wish me luck  :D

question
A Few Questions for Chili Heads: Comfrey and Types to Grow Outside?

Started by garrarufa on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 05, 2020, 16:28
by garrarufa
xx
one red chili

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 21:27
by agapanthus
xx
Name that chili?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 11:22
by Debz
xx
Chili's - Too late?

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 13:58
by Plottered

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.