How to get leeks going from seed?

• 11 Replies

fekq

• Experienced Member
How to get leeks going from seed?
« on: May 11, 2009, 15:48 »
second attempt at growing leeks (first in cold frame, second in potting shed) has yielded the same ZERO success rate. tried the first lot in loo rolls, the second in a modular tray. None sprouted. :ohmy:

what's the best way to get them up and running now? windowsill?

RichardA

Re: How to get leeks going from seed?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 15:59 »
I put mine in a seed tray of compost, cover slightly with compost, bottom heat and keep damp. Seems to work
R

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 16:04 »
is there a clever way of heating one's bottom ??? without a heated propagator pls?

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 16:15 »
I use the bit of worktop in the kitchen above the boiler and behind the television but have to watch the seedlings don't get leggy rushing for the light. That is where my lemon grass seeds are now as they need about 75 to 80F. I do have propogators in greenhouse for most things that only need around 65 to 70F.
R

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 16:17 »
I planted my seed direct (I do a lot of this, even when it is against conventional wisdom) and got about 80% success rate. So, I am thinking that it is either the type/ age of seed, amount of light, watering or growing medium that is causing you trouble – that didn’t narrow it down much did it?!

If I had to guess then I would say it is the seed, but tell us a bit more about what you are doing and I am sure a better answer will follow.

(I am trying to set a good example today so will not make the obvious comments on ‘bottom heat’).  ;)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 16:23 »
Just read you user name again – I hope I am reading it wrong and that it is just an acronym! And to think I was being so nice….. :ohmy: ;)

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 16:33 »
I'm growing them for the first time and just planted them in compost in individual cells, watered and left them outside. Perhaps like Trebor says its the seeds you're using. I've planted two batches out like this at different times Real first then Musselburgh and they've virtually all come up with no special treatment. Might be beginner's luck tho  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 17:06 »
I planted loads of leek seeds that Shaun sent me years ago in a seed tray, weeks later nothing.  So I thought okay, maybe seed too old, so I then sowed 2 trays of fresh seed of 2 different leeks and also re-sowed in my original tray more of the old seeds.

They were just sitting on the staging in my greenhouse, now I have thousands of leek seedlings!!!!!!  Because not only did the 2nd lot of old seeds germinate, but so did the original lot plus the 2 lots of new ones! lol

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 17:17 »
Yes, good point, add length of time left germinating to the list of possible causes!

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 17:50 »
Just read you user name again – I hope I am reading it wrong and that it is just an acronym! And to think I was being so nice….. :ohmy: ;)

they are my initials!!! blame my lovely innocent parents who never thought of how they could be misconstrued (and my mother still doesn't get it)

mind you, I didn't really think about it until I started getting posts removed from some fora!

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 17:54 »
I planted my seed direct (I do a lot of this, even when it is against conventional wisdom) and got about 80% success rate. So, I am thinking that it is either the type/ age of seed, amount of light, watering or growing medium that is causing you trouble – that didn’t narrow it down much did it?!

If I had to guess then I would say it is the seed, but tell us a bit more about what you are doing and I am sure a better answer will follow.

(I am trying to set a good example today so will not make the obvious comments on ‘bottom heat’).  ;)

Seed (two different types, as recommended for time of year sown) from Real Seeds, fresh this year. Sown in John Innes Seed compost in nicely washed trays (didn't wash the loo rolls obviously). First lot in cold frame, so lots of light. second lot in shed window with DIY foil deflector thing behind them....

So perhaps it's my watering. How much/little should I water them before they sprout please?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 18:17 »
"So perhaps it's my watering. How much/little should I water them before they sprout please?"

If it might be watering I recommend:

Get the compost to the right moisture content - e.g. put fresh compost in the container, water liberally with a rose, allow to drain.

Sow seed.

Place in clear plastic bag, and seal, keep in a light place

No further moisture required.

Open bag as soon as the plants have germinated to provide fresh air - and then start watering as required.

xx
Leeks going to seed!!

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2019, 08:52
by lettice
thumbup
leeks all gone seed

Started by maizey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 17:38
by jaydig
xx
When do leeks go to seed?

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 10:36
by Nobbie
xx
Leeks gone to seed

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:45
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.