I did this all by myself today. :)

• 22 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Re: I did this all by myself today. :)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46 »
I know what it was. It was Morello cherry - anybody here tried growing these?
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 12:08 »
Yes the ydo love it.  They will be filling there pond with water this evening all being well they can get fish tomorrow.   :D
Thanks
Kris

treacleminer

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 13:53 »
Hi Wonder Woman :D

We had a Morello cherry against a very exposed East wall & it did quite well - had to come out for a house extension! Picking the cherries before the birds get them can be tricky  ::)

The other one we have had against a North wall is a Japanese Quince (chaenomeles)(taken out for the same reason as above :() and whilst it didn't do as well as it might have with more sunshine it did set the occasional fruit, which I think are edible, though I never tried...

Bombers

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 18:28 »
CHERRIES!! :tongue2: I absolutely love 'em Iv'e got a Stella 'fanned' against a north facing fence, looks really nice when in flower, and then as the fruit start to turn - cover with nets!!! - have a look at this info http://www.rhs.org.uk/growyourown/cherry.asp
Also,.... I was 'tipped' off about LIdL's cheepy offers on fruit t'other day.... (Bilston today - I picked up 3 Blueberries for £1.45 each)  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

woodburner

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 00:24 »

Ooh, thank you so much for that! I might have remembered it eventually but a morello will be perfect for my lottie, to grow in what is in effect woodland edge. (As I am being left with a 15ft birch tree, I think I earn the right to grow small trees there. ;) :D Plus I need to find things that will tolerate shade.

Excellent progress btw. :) I wish I still had energy like that.  :mellow:

I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Lady Lottie

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 09:40 »
CHERRIES!! :tongue2: I absolutely love 'em Iv'e got a Stella 'fanned' against a north facing fence, looks really nice when in flower, and then as the fruit start to turn - cover with nets!!! - have a look at this info http://www.rhs.org.uk/growyourown/cherry.asp
Also,.... I was 'tipped' off about LIdL's cheepy offers on fruit t'other day.... (Bilston today - I picked up 3 Blueberries for £1.45 each)  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Well, this is what I was thinking - some sort of arrangement with wire to train them on anyway - better check exactly what the rules say about trees though as I'm not 100% sure.  bargain or what with the Blueberries!  :) I love Blueberries and so does my little one but the soil I have checked so far is not acid at all - any tips on the best way to go about providing conditions they like or better not to bother with them?  Btw - how old is your cherry tree - are they particularly slow growing?  Remember I am a woman and therefore very impatient! ::) :lol:

Lady Lottie

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41 »

Ooh, thank you so much for that! I might have remembered it eventually but a morello will be perfect for my lottie, to grow in what is in effect woodland edge. (As I am being left with a 15ft birch tree, I think I earn the right to grow small trees there. ;) :D Plus I need to find things that will tolerate shade.

Excellent progress btw. :) I wish I still had energy like that.  :mellow:

:happy:Thank you.

And yes, I think you should be allowed a cherry tree too!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:49 by Lady Lottie »

Lady Lottie

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54 »

Great link btw - thanks - will read and digest more thoroughly when DD isn't yelling "I want Chuggington ONNNN!"  ::) ::)

xx
Look what I got today...!

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 21:38
by peapod
xx
my day today!!!

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 23:20
by viettaclark
xx
Tried out my new toy today

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 19:00
by boldondig
xx
today's tea

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 00:42
by celsis

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 34 queries.