Spring sowing?

• 17 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Spring sowing?
« on: March 19, 2023, 11:38 »
I have started, but it is a tentative start.  Where is everyone else at?

I only had onions from seeds, peppers, chillies and aubergines going.  In the last week have added tomatoes inside on the windowsill, but only the cordons that will go into the greenhouse.  In the greenhouse, I’ve started cabbage, chard and other leafy greens, plus mangetout and sugar snap peas.

Nothing outside yet.  The soil is wet and cold and not very spring like at all  :(

Goosegirl

Re: Spring sowing?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:44 »
I have a mini greenhouse with a plastic cover inside my main one and just got a roll of 40sqm fleece to cover it with in case we get any more frosts. So far I've got sugar snap peas and leeks in there (plus my potted-up flower plug plants) and some toms on the kitchen windowsill.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 12:12 »
Young plants of tomatoes, peppers, courgettes are growing well and ready to go outdoors in about a week.

Bok choi, Napa cabbage, beets, carrots, peas, corn salad are already growing outdoors. I noted the first snap pea has already developed, ready for picking.

By means of geography, I admit to cheating . . .  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 20:22 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 18:05 »
Just a few shallots so far on plot. Peas, broad beans, beetroot and lettuce germinating in conservatory. Getting ready to plant out onion sets and sow tomatoes in propagator.
Can’t say the ground is very warm yet.
Keep digging

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 18:09 »
All indoors (obviously) tomatoes, aubergines, cabbage, chard, parsley, basil.
Am wondering about trying to sow little  gem outdoors ( London, temp highs of 15C. No frosts forecast this week). But maybe that’s too optimistic?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 20:26 »
All indoors (obviously) tomatoes, aubergines, cabbage, chard, parsley, basil.
Am wondering about trying to sow little  gem outdoors ( London, temp highs of 15C. No frosts forecast this week). But maybe that’s too optimistic?

My lettuce (as seedlings 2 or 3 inches tall) survived -14 C, so you should be able to get away with it. 

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 20:56 »
Got some peas, mangetout and broad beans in guttering in the greenhouse and just moved a tray of various brassica in there from the window sill. Planted some red Duke of York earlies in pots inside along with some more under cloches and some in open ground. They can take there chances. Also sowed some lettuce, beetroot, onions, rocket and spinach, some under cloche and some in open ground. Looks fairly warm for the next week, so should be ok.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 22:01 »
It's been too cold.  I have sweet peppers, chillies and onions on the go.  Sowed aubergine but they've not germinated.  Have some Syrian broad beans poking through and that's it.
Will do some this week I think.
Would have done some this weekend but busy with grandson's 5th birthday.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 09:04 »
Nothing outside yet.

In the cold greenhouse I've got broad beans in root trainers . (I sow another strip of 4 every time the previous strip shows at the surface. I just put the third strip in.)  I also tried some radishes and a sprinkling of cut-and-come-again lettuce but the radish are not doing anything & the lettuce are sparse (they were old seed)

In the front porch which stays above 5C I've got purple broc., leeks, little gem, calabrese & cauli. No sign of the Sutherland kale but it was very old seed sown early as a test. Going to ditch the rest of the packet.

On the window sill that's nearest to the stove, in heated trays I've got tomatoes, peppers, parsley and chillies.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:13 by coldandwindy »

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 12:26 »
Maybe I'll venture some more sowings in greenhouse.  Got broad beans and agretti in there at the mo.  On the plot there's corn salad and chard from last year.
So will go for beetroot in modules, summer cabbage and more chard.  Can't find the plastic ice cream box I used for leeks last year - hmm, better buy ice cream

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 14:50 »
Just sowed some tomato seeds in my propagator. Fingers crossed I’m not too early.
Amazed one packet (f1) only had 5 seeds in it (though it was free when you bought others) Now it’s a waiting game. Probably bored as I’m inside still self isolating.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 17:31 »
Finally today I’ve made a start. In the propagated -Tomatoes, sweet peppers,basil, aubergines, luffa, cabbages, Brussels & calabrese & under cover in the greenhouse leeks- 2 varieties & 5 varieties of beetroot. All in all I think it was 39 types of seeds but probably 15 or so of them tomatoes  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 18:41 »
Way behind.  :(

Managed to get garlic planted 4 weeks ago (just coming through), but only got my shallots in a few days ago thanks to recent heavy snow.

Chitting broad bean seeds indoors in the hope of catching up with at least one crop.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 22:34 »
Can't find the plastic ice cream box I used for leeks last year - hmm, better buy ice cream

I need to use that reason the next time I decide to buy ice cream!!!   :lol:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 06:42 »
Like last year I start early and with the addition of my gas heater it's been a game changer!
In my greenhouse I've got tomato plants which are growing well, onions are coming on, carrots in pots, lettuce & spring onions going great guns. My early potatoes in tubs have been outside since last week, though I've got some fleece over them for now! I also sowed some sweetcorn last week along with some butternut squash plus my parsnips which I sowed direct and are covered in cloches at the moment. It's still too early to sow anything else direct as the beds are cold & wet so I'm looking at a couple of weeks before doing that other than maincrop potatoes which I'm planning on doing this weekend!

xx
Spring sowing Garlic?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 19:52
by snowdrops
xx
Quick Green Manure for late Winter/Early Spring sowing?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 08:37
by New shoot
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
spring

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:51
by Missy1970

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 55 queries.