New Strawberries - best way?

• 22 Replies

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
New Strawberries - best way?
« on: March 07, 2023, 09:42 »
I fancy trying some everbearing strawberries in hanging baskets in the tunnel (its cold and windy here as per user name!). I live in the back of beyond -my own choice but means I'm limited to buying mail-order.
Couriers only come here twice a week, if that, depending on weather (boats are involved) so delivery can take up to 10 days.

How long would strawberry runners survive in the post? Interested to hear other people's experiences of how they're packed and what condition they arrive in. How long would they take to recover? Would I be better paying more for bigger, pot grown plants? Would they travel better?  Or are seeds plus patience a better bet?
I'm picturing having some to eat this summer. Is that unrealistic?

Where is the best place to buy from?

Thanks  :D

missmoneypenny

Re: New Strawberries - best way?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 10:56 »
This won’t be what you are hoping for, but I ordered some runners from Thompson and Morgan. I know they dispatched on a Friday and they arrived on a Tuesday. They looked dead, the roots were totally dry and although each plant had at least one live leaf, most leaves were black.  I rang T&M and they sent another set which arrived in better shape. I planted them all and so far it looks like even the 1set might make it. So maybe worth planting even if they look dead, but I think 10 days  in the post would be too much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:57 by missmoneypenny »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 11:17 »
This won’t be what you are hoping for, but I ordered some runners from Thompson and Morgan. I know they dispatched on a Friday and they arrived on a Tuesday. They looked dead, the roots were totally dry and although each plant had at least one live leaf, most leaves were black.  I rang T&M and they sent another set which arrived in better shape. I planted them all and so far it looks like even the 1set might make it. So maybe worth planting even if they look dead, but I think 10 days  in the post would be too much.
Thank you, that's very useful information.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 17:48 »
You probably already do this, but it might be worth double checking on any potential supplier's website that they will in fact post live plant material to the Hebrides - given the risks of delay in delivery that you mention.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 18:42 »
You probably already do this, but it might be worth double checking on any potential supplier's website that they will in fact post live plant material to the Hebrides - given the risks of delay in delivery that you mention.
Thank you for the reply, yes I always look at that first so I don't spend ages drooling over something only then to find I can't have it! 
DT Brown and Parkers both send live plants here (and for the same price as to anywhere else in UK, which is unusual) . They've been brilliant sending me seeds or bulbs by Royal Mail but they use couriers (Evri) for plants so it looks like I'm going to have to admit it'll be too slow.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 18:46 by coldandwindy »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 18:54 »
 :( So, onwards and upwards. Strawberries from seed! Any tips? Will I get fruit this year? Best place to buy seed for everbearers? Thank you!  :D

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 20:24 »
I think they’d be ok if ordered in winter as they’d be cool for most of the journey. They’re pretty tough plants.

murphy99

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 20:25 »
have you tried ken muir they are very good

wolveryeti

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 23:32 »
These guys are worth a look for runners - bought 20 Albion (everbearer) over the weekend and arrived today in good nick. Scotland based so hopefully transit time to Hebrides a bit reduced!

https://james-mcintyre.co.uk/product-category/strawberries/

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 09:02 »
These guys are worth a look for runners - bought 20 Albion (everbearer) over the weekend and arrived today in good nick. Scotland based so hopefully transit time to Hebrides a bit reduced!

https://james-mcintyre.co.uk/product-category/strawberries/
That's useful, thank you I haven't tried there. Sounds hopeful that they're sending now, while they're dormant. Everywhere I've tried so far don't send for at least another month. They should at least know where I am too! I'll give them a ring.
 :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 11:06 »
Sorry to say, but I never, ever buy anything from them and don't think I'm the only one.  >:( I have just ordered some Elegance strawbs A grade from D.T. Brown and, if they are as good as they were last year, then I will be well pleased. Kings seeds also do the same grade but are out of stock.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 16:32 »
I just heard back from James McIntyre & Sons, in Perthshire. They are sending 20 'Albion' crowns by Royal Mail 1st class. Big thank you to wolveryeti for the recommendation. What a lovely friendly family firm. Please all buy from them!!  :D  :D   :D

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 09:34 »
Just came back to say thank you. 20 Albion crowns arrived speedily & in lovely condition. Soaked them in warm water & planted in hanging baskets in the cold greenhouse. Already greening up & looking happy.
Chuffed! :D

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 09:46 »
That’s great coldandwindy. I admire your fortitude and ( what seems to me at least) gardening “ on the edge”.
I’ve been laid low by covid so not been to the plot for a week, but last Saturday the strawberries looked ok, including the lot from the  1st delivery which seemed moribund when they arrived. Goosegirl I agree service from Thompson and Morgan can be patchy. Last year it was unsolicited substitutions in my delivery- sent a totally different variety of seed potato with no pre warning.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 10:09 »
A bit off topic but I’m interested to hear that you have been knocked out by Covid this week Missmoneypenny. My wife went down with it this week and testing I see I have it too. Very bad timing there’s a delivery of manure to the plot and I’m supposed to talk at a funeral next Friday!! Very interesting discussion too on best strawberry plants.
Keep digging

xx
Strawberries

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:51
by richyrich7
smiley
Strawberries

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 11:01
by Twood
xx
strawberries

Started by dumplings on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 09:08
by Headgardener22
xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 51 queries.