Perennial basil (?!?)

• 5 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Perennial basil (?!?)
« on: October 02, 2022, 14:02 »
This question sort of started with broad beans, but didn't end there. 

As an experiment here, I am planning to try growing some broad beans, which are supposed to be very difficult to grow here (but I like a challenge!).  I was watching a video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZn2H__hI30 about how to tell when broad beans are ready to pick.

Late in the video, the presenter mentions something about the scent of some perennial basil. . .  WHAT ???  I have never heard of perennial basil before.  Briefly looking it up, it seems like the same species as regular basil (?).  I guess just more hardy? Is it usually grown from seed, same as annual basil?

Does anyone have experience growing and using perennial basil?  Is it used in the same way as annual basil?  does it provide fresh basil in winter?  Anything you can share about this herb would be appreciated.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Perennial basil (?!?)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 14:14 »
Seeing the plant in the video, I think that is what we would call Holy Basil here in the UK.  It is perennial, but not frost hardy.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 17:03 »
Thank you New Shoot.  Looking up more information online, it is very confusing.

Several articles point to perennial basil, and three varieties of Ocimum basilicum spp.: Greek columnar basil, white perennial basil, and pink perennial basil.  Like this article: https://www.thegardener.co.za/grow-to-eat/herbs/perennial-basils/

But some sources at least call Greek Columnar an annual.

This source describes the white perennial basil: http://www.booyongconservation.com/white-perennial-basil/

Another "perennial basil" doesn't seem to be a basil at all, but is called wild basil and is perennial (Clinopodium Vulgare) https://savvygardening.com/perennial-basil/

It could be that plant in the video was holy basil, as you indicated.  I think that might also be a different species from culinary basil.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 17:35 »
Holy basil is Ocimum tenuiflorum. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 18:57 »
The Chinese & Nepalese plot holders here, grow some thing they call Chinese Basil. It doesn't look, smell or taste like the Basil we grow, they just cloche it over winter, so frost doesn't kill it.
One of them said it was Shiso This is listed as Perilla frutescens, but RHS says that's an annual - but what they grow is perennial. Not much help is it?  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 19:24 »
Perilla is a tender perennial, but maybe your plot neighbours have a more hardy strain.

Perhaps that is the answer with the basil as well.  Types described as perennial overseas are better treated as annuals here, so that is what we call them  :unsure:

xx
Perennial veg

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 10, 2022, 18:00
by Candide
xx
PSB a perennial?

Started by goodtogrow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 12:47
by goodtogrow
xx
Perennial Veg

Started by Can you eat that? on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 16:29
by Havengore
xx
Perennial veg

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2022, 17:51
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 46 queries.