potato crop

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

potato crop
« on: September 29, 2022, 17:33 »
we decided to lift our main crop potatoes the other day and we thought it a good idea  to cut the tops of first because they where very thick tops  so we spent a couple of hours cutting and clearing the tops well it makes it easy to lift the crop with our tractor and scuffle

so next day we lifted the crop they came out lovely but boy o' boy did we have a crop I couldn't believe it 7 rows we filled 17 compost bags full and I mean full bags bags of potatoes  some spuds weighed nearly 2lbs and after sorting the spuds we had only half a sack of small potatoes and around half a bucket of damaged or bad spuds  its the best crop of potatoes we have ever grew on the allotment the variety was Cara when I loaded the bags on our trailer to take home the trailer tyre's where like pancakes  :D

I thought with all that dry spell we would end up with a few bags of small potatoes how wrong I was I made a potato storage box 2 years ago  and last years crop filled the box just over half full this year the box is full and 4 bags I cant get in the box so it looks like we won't be going short of potatoes this year  :lol:

Kleftiwallah

Re: potato crop
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 17:49 »
Good to hear of your spud crop rowlandwells.
To a much lesser degree, we found the same.  Our varieties were Kesterl and King Edwards.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 08:19 »
Well done, the rains we got late on must have done the trick for you
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:08 »
the only thing I forgot to mention I sowed green mustard [mustard brown] in the autumn last year and ploughed it in to overwinter prior to my spring plantings and I believe although we had some potatoes with small holes the majority we good so probably the mustard did some good ?

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 11:14 »
I think mustard is one of the recommendations for eel worm also the dry summer & no blight will have helped you this year

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 15:52 »
You must have had our harvest!  Very poor this year due to the heat and lack of rain.  Have been growing Charlotte's for the couple of years in bags at home, plenty of watering a reasonable harvest.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 15:36 »
Great harvest here too which surprised me. I did make an effort to water but was still unsure if I watered enough. Lack of blight as mentioned above also played in my favour.

Ambo as usual were great and Pink Fir Apple (first time of growing) were awesome. Not so impressed with some other new varieties I tried out.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 22:17 »
I also had best crop ever with first early and second earlies then sow mustard after dug in after 8 week the ground is spot on now gonna lime then garlic I think weather helped keep slug damage down aswell 😀👍

xx
Bad potato crop

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2021, 21:59
by muckyboots
xx
First ever potato crop

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:50
by Howard
xx
My first potato crop of 2011

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 16:35
by mumofstig
xx
My early potato crop

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 19:11
by Wombat

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 45 queries.