Wild Flower Patch

• 5 Replies

begbrook

Wild Flower Patch
« on: June 02, 2022, 15:07 »
I have an area on my allotment that is grassed where I have fruit trees growing.  I like the idea of having lots of flowers growing in amongst the trees.  If I cut the grass as low as possible and mix the seeds in compost and sprinkle everywhere will they grow, or do I need to remove all the grass and turn over the soil then sow the seeds?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Flower Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 19:50 »
They will almost certainly have a better chance of survival if the grass is removed first.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 05:56 »
I bought a box of wild flower mixture with sand and vermiculite, and after putting some in the 'spare' areas, I've filled several pots which I hope to transfer at some stage!

Anyway, if they flower this year (which may not happen), I'll see what there is and hopefully will be able to pop them in to more permanent places once established!

Well, that's the grand plan...

ps - Off topic, they haven't mowed our local churchyard for weeks, and we've never seen so many butterups, clovers and oxeye daisies in full bloom! It's fabulous!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 09:43 »
ps - Off topic, they haven't mowed our local churchyard for weeks, and we've never seen so many butterups, clovers and oxeye daisies in full bloom! It's fabulous!
It's called "No mow May", Mr G.  It's to give food to the bees and butterflies and give the wild flowers a chance to set seed.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 11:53 »
When I was at the RHS Flower show, there was a display of wild flowers, they looked very good

Anyway I spoke to the bloke that had them and a garden center that had seed grow mats

The turf looked better but cost more

The seed mats look very fragile and not very good

The company that sells the turf is Lindum Wildflower

( https://turf.co.uk/wildflower)

The other company is Crocus ( https://www.crocus.co.uk/search/_/search.seed-mat/ )

I dont know which is best or favourite, but I bought 6 packs from Crocus, I wasnt impress with them, they look very flimsy and I dont think they are up to the job

I hope this helps
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 18:27 »
It's called "No mow May", Mr G.  It's to give food to the bees and butterflies and give the wild flowers a chance to set seed.

And a worthy cause too, Aunty!

I've just seen lots of Birds Foot Trefoil growing next to the paths, and they really are a delight!

What is also gorgeous, is the new grass about eighteen inches off the ground, all pale pink/purple fronds, and when the breeze gets going the whole earth moves!

(I hope the good folk buried underneath don't mind too much, I haven't heard any complaints recently...)!

clip
Wild flower in plot

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2021, 12:02
by greenhead
xx
Growing veg through a flower patch

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2023, 14:25
by coldandwindy
xx
Wild flowers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 21:37
by sladefungus
xx
Wild garlic

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 13:28
by surbie100

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 45 queries.