• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2022
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2022, 21:50 »
watered, watered and watered...
Snap!!

snowdrops

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2022, 11:52 »
Yesterday I was at the plot for 6am & hoed a couple of beds that the weeds had grown a foot on in what feels like a week but in all fairness is probably 3, with our holiday & then getting covid. Sorted chicken girls a bit of watering that didn’t get done the night before & the 1st of the twice daily squish of asparagus beetle & their prodigy. Then I picked a few remaining black currants & a load of cherries.
Back after breakfast with hubby & we removed some of the corrugated plastic sheets around the secure chicken run to give them more airflow for the next few days.
Back in the evening for chicken duties, asparagus watch & watering in the tunnel.
Today I was a bit later but there for 7:30 to give the girls some more bolted lettuces, water the climbing beans-so much easier now I’ve got the 2 bottles next to each one & the difference to their growth since I installed them last week & little water evaporation too.
1x asparagus squish
Home for breakfast for 8:30  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2022, 12:19 »
Yep, watering but just the newer plantings and owt likely to bolt

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2022, 12:19 »
Down at plot just after 9 am a lot more civilised than of late.
Weeded four beds and then planted out some beetroot. Had to water the bed really seriously as I had been drying some onions on it and the soil was like dust. Three watering cans full of water and then another once I had planted out the beets. Also created a maze of string in amongst my bean poles as I think it is birds that have been attacking my french beans before they could even start growing. I thought it was slug damage but a fellow plot holder reckoned it was birds so I’m hoping the maze will deter them. Fingers crossed the weather will be better for them too.
Keep digging

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2022, 16:05 »
Back to watering at just after 7.00 am.
Getting a bit bored with the sunshine now!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2022, 17:41 »
Yes, all I seem to do just now, is carry watering cans, with just the occasional bit of harvesting, to mix things up a bit  ::)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2022, 13:23 »
Dug out the pea bed and added lime ready to plant out spring cabbage seedlings.
Also potted on the seedlings fingers crossed they will be big enough by end of September to go into the prepared bed. All a bit behind due to the heat. Decided I had better grow my own seedlings when I looked at some in a local garden centre. I was shocked to see that they were selling cabbage plants that had been severely damaged presumably by cabbage Whites. Too many staff in the coffee shop and not enough tending the veg plants.

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2022, 11:07 »
As it is sunny I done weeding and fed my tomato plants and took out carrots that aren’t growing at all. Checked the beetroot and onions and they are doing fine and soon can be harvested. Bad weather on the way

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2022, 11:33 »
Planted out some spring cabbages. Fingers crossed they will survive the slugs and cabbage white butterfly and make through to 2023. Made me realise we must all be optimists as we sow seeds for the future. Let’s hope this coming winter is relatively mild even if that encourages the slugs!!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2022, 04:38 »
I have a bunch of lettuce varieties that I've chitted, including 'Flashy Troutback Romaine', "Really Red Deertoungue', 'Merlot Batavian', a gourmet blend, and some iceberg, Romaine, and Bibb.  Also some Giant Noble spinach.  Today I put most of those sprouted seeds into flats, except some that are slower to germinate, which hopefully will go into flats over the next couple of days.

Here, my 'salad days' come mostly in the winter months!   :lol:
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2022, 20:21 »
Planted all my garlic today. About 140 cloves, mainly softnecks this year but also an early hardneck called primor.

Spread some compost over them.

Picked salad leaves, the first sprouts of the year and carrots.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2022, 02:23 »
Mending fences to keep deer and other wildlife out. 

Also, seedlings of  lettuce, spinach and other greens are getting larger, some will be transplanted into small pots to grow on further, but I am also direct-planting some in my beds. So, I have been clearing out beds to plant greens as well, as small clumps of plants, which will be thinned and the culled seedlings used as micro greens.

This coming week, I hope to get my broad beans planted. So, I'm getting that bed ready as well.

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2022, 15:35 »
Planted a rhubarb.  Planted two a year ago and they both failed to come back in spring.  I really, really want this one to thrive;  I'm already a year behind for crumble.
Also planted 6 elephant garlic cloves.  Tried last year and they never got beyond scrawny.  With hindsight I should have left them in to bulk up.
Got a small broad bean patch sorted.  Will sow some more in spring after the leeks are lifted.
Ooh yes, and decanted some comfrey tea into milk cartons.  Smells good!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2022, 16:32 »
I soaked broad bean seeds, they bulked up nicely.  They are in a container now, between two damp sheets of kitchen paper.  I'm hoping they will sprout roots and get in the ground later this week.  Semantics: If you chit a seed, and a plant starts to form before you put the seed in the ground, do you consider that sowing, or planting?   :lol:   :nowink:   ::)

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2022, 07:37 »
Digging yea! And that’s no sarcasm to

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 53 queries.