Frosted leeks and swedes.

• 4 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Frosted leeks and swedes.
« on: December 16, 2022, 13:36 »
Hello everyone,
                         our few leeks and swedes are looking very very sad.  Should I lift and store them?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: Frosted leeks and swedes.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 16:16 »
I would have thought no. Just leave them and see how they are once we have a thaw. (Monday hopefully)

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 19:21 »
Hello everyone,
                         our few leeks and swedes are looking very very sad.  Should I lift and store them?

Cheers,  Tony.
I think it partly depends on the variety you have.  For leeks I am growing Bleu de Solaise that will stand very well in winter.  Fingers crossed

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 14:10 »
All swedes should have stood that weather fine, they take all sorts of weather. And taste better after frost

And agree about the leeks, I also have blue de solaise and they are looking fine right now, should be good eating through to april. My bulgarian giant though are looking rather sad, I had hoped they would have been OK. But the earlier thinner leeks usually need eaten by the time we get frosts like that

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 22:03 »
All swedes should have stood that weather fine, they take all sorts of weather. And taste better after frost

And agree about the leeks, I also have blue de solaise and they are looking fine right now, should be good eating through to april. My bulgarian giant though are looking rather sad, I had hoped they would have been OK. But the earlier thinner leeks usually need eaten by the time we get frosts like that

I picked a small swede during the recent cold snap and when I got it home found it to be frozen all the way through. Never seen that before but it tasted good!
As well as Bleu de S I've got some Jaune du Poitou in which despite supposedly being less hardy I've never had issues with if they end up standing over winter. Biggest problem I usually have is keeping rust in check although there's not much about this year, yet. Some moth damage though.

xx
Two Questions , Leeks and Swedes.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 16:38
by DD.
xx
Out of Swedes already - can I sow more Swedes (or Turnips)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 23:38
by Kirpi
xx
Frosted herbs

Started by auntyfifi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 23:01
by auntyfifi
xx
frosted peas

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2017, 09:19
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 40 queries.