Sweetcorn "Incredible"

• 5 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn "Incredible"
« on: May 02, 2018, 17:56 »
Long shot, but does anyone know where I might be able to buy some young Sweetcorn "Incredible" plants, as opposed to seeds? I think a few of mine got nipped by the frost the other night, so want some in reserve.  I know you can't plant other types as they won't cross pollinate.  Thanks for your help.  PS, fleece on again tonight here in Hampshire!

lettice

Re: Sweetcorn "Incredible"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:48 »
Just sow some outside. Temp is not going to get lower than 9c now for next few weeks with lots of 18-22c sunshine in Hampshire.
Sweetcorn seeds only take about 7 days to germinate in a greenhouse and mid May they will be large enough to plant out.
You can still plant out anytime in May or early June. Have planted as late as mid June and they soon catch up with the early ones.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 08:03 »
There is a potential advantage in staggering the planting of sweetcorn in that the later ones can help with the pollination of some of the earlier plants, especially if they produce later silks which can miss out on the first wave of pollination which tends to happen over just a few days (depending on the weather.)

Haven't sown mine yet - will sow indoors in paper pots in the next day or so for planting out at the end of May or beginning of June (again, weather dependent - a late frost will kill them but any period of low temperatures will check them and they can struggle to recover from that.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05 »
Just sow some outside. Temp is not going to get lower than 9c now for next few weeks with lots of 18-22c sunshine in Hampshire.

How can you possibly know this with any degree of certainty? Frosts are possible well into May, even up to early June in sheltered areas. It looks warm for the next week but beyond that, who knows if an Arctic air mass from a strong NEly or Nly wind will arrive in the middle of the month. It is early May, not July.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 17:37 »

How can you possibly know this with any degree of certainty? Frosts are possible well into May, even up to early June in sheltered areas. It looks warm for the next week but beyond that, who knows if an Arctic air mass from a strong NEly or Nly wind will arrive in the middle of the month. It is early May, not July.

Certainty is an "unknown" in weather forecasting, and parts of Hampshire can get much colder than surrounding areas,which includes where Freefolk lives. I only know this because my daughter lives in the adjoining hamlet/small village and she has frosts there whilst we, in Reading, can escape!!

So to return to the original question, I haven't spotted any Incredible sweetcorn plants for sale, so maybe grow some more yourself to stagger cropping and avoid the issue of cross pollination. If you sprout them on wet kitchen paper before planting you will know for certain they are on the way to giving you a plant. Good luck  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 17:51 »
If you sprout them on wet kitchen paper before planting you will know for certain they are on the way to giving you a plant. Good luck  :D :D
Pre-germinating indoors will bring them on very quickly - there's a full 'how to' on the site here: Growing Sweetcorn - How to Grow Sweetcorn - Allotment & Gardens
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Any one grown "Sunrise Sweetcorn"

Started by mountainvicar on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 10:02
by mountainvicar
xx
"Pruning" sweetcorn.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2018, 22:13
by mumofstig
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 42 queries.