Seed Price Difference!!!

• 14 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Seed Price Difference!!!
« on: January 03, 2015, 16:31 »
Looking for Passandra Cucumbers.  At Kings Seeds they were the £3.15 but from Premier Seeds on Ebay They were £1.29

A bit of a difference!!! Can't see any reason why either?

Adri
Peak Hives

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed Price Difference!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 16:43 »
Premier seeds don't print a glossy brochure, so can sell seeds cheaper.
I've never had a problem with their seeds, so go for it ; )

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 16:48 »
I am using seed parade this year and most are priced @ 99p, they come in zip lock bags with no instructions to keep costs down, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 17:05 »
I always use Premier Seeds.  Brilliant service always!  They are very good with advice if needed too!

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 17:44 »
premier for me too,

most seeds are 99p, top quality. no fancy stuff, little zippy bag with seeds in it and a simple little label. everything that you need.

really nice people to deal with too.

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 21:05 »
I have used premium seeds and from my experience very good. You get a good amount for your money. I have ordered via Amazon. I had very good results with the rising sun sweetcorn.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54 »
If you want Kings Seeds you need to have an allotment association that stocks them. Ours allows for odd requests like that and the prices work out to be just as good as Premier Seeds in many cases.

240173paul

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:44 »
Wallis seeds every time - you get lots of variety, an excellant service and most important very good germination rates

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12 »
Wallis seeds

Not heard of them before ... IMHO their website is rubbish!  Vegetable seeds presented as a 27 page alphabetical list ... Seed packets look cheap though, although their bulk prices are more expensive than Moles Seeds

Moles Seeds only really much use for bulk purchases as they don't do small packets. Handy if buying with a neighbour or for seed that you can use over several seasons. Moles Seeds don't charge for postage (except for heavy things like Peas and Beans)

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 16:29 »
If you want Kings Seeds you need to have an allotment association that stocks them. Ours allows for odd requests like that and the prices work out to be just as good as Premier Seeds in many cases.

You can buy direct from Kings Seeds (see their website) but they do have expensive p&p (on par with T&M) so if you aren't in an allotment / gardening association, it is worth asking friends and neighbours if they'd like to join in to share the cost.  Contact Kings Seeds and they are happy to discuss a sort of discount if you order lots of seeds at the time.

I've been very happy with Premier Seeds but I don't had a problem buying from other smaller online sites - a lot often depends on what I am looking for and will shop around to see if it is available elsewhere for less (and my personal experience from previous purchases from those stockists), and take into account the seed count as well p&p costs.  If you want to buy brand name seeds (Mr Fothergills, Johnsons Seeds, Unwins, Thompson & Morgan and Suttons) you could try Seeds by Post http://www.seedsbypost.co.uk/ (postage is free on orders over £5) but they do charge the original price as in the catalogues (just a reminder of the original topic about the different prices of seeds) 

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 16:55 »
Kings Passandra F1 cues £1.90 from my  Nat Allotment Society catalogue.  had to pay £1 handling for all I ordered
always get most of my seeds this way and the allotment benefits too
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

miggs

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 17:06 »
After reading the good reviews of Premier seeds on here earlier, I have just ordered £10 worth of seeds. See what they are like for this year.

miggs

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 11:58 »
The seeds have arrived and they look very good. The thing that I am a little disappointed with is that they didn't come with any planting instructions. For the experienced gardener that's not a problem, but what if someone is just starting out and need's a bit of help as to when to plant.

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:11 »
The seeds have arrived and they look very good. The thing that I am a little disappointed with is that they didn't come with any planting instructions. For the experienced gardener that's not a problem, but what if someone is just starting out and need's a bit of help as to when to plant.

That's one of the reasons they are so cheap.

Lidl and Aldi also sell a range of (cheap) seeds that come in picture packs which I've used successfully for several years - cucumbers and courgettes being particularly good value from memory. The poundshops also do seeds very cheap, again they seem to grow fine. Of course the range of varieties from these places is less than dedicated suppliers.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 12:33 »

They will help if you ask, but you can always find instructions on line  ;)

xx
Onions from seed with a difference

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 08:45
by jambop
xx
The difference between fresh and old seed

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 16, 2021, 08:14
by Redcoat
xx
2022 seed garlic price??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2022, 23:35
by Snowboar
xx
B&Q seed potatoes half price!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 09:30
by aelf

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 38 queries.