Tried out my new toy today

• 18 Replies

al78

Tried out my new toy today
« on: September 07, 2013, 23:22 »
Bought one of the Azadas from http://www.get-digging.co.uk/ and tried it out on the plot today. It does a very good job of clearing weedy areas in a fraction of the time it takes with a fork, with less backache at the end of it. What it won't do is get into the really hard compacted stuff that has been under black plastic weed suppressant for several years, the blade just bounces off the surface or goes in an inch at most. For this area I will need to resort to wiggling the fork in under my full bodyweight then levering it to break up the ground. I can certainly recommend one for clearing new ground of heavy weed cover, will even go through dock roots, get under nettles and those massive grass clumps that sometimes are dotted about. Some digging at the end may be required to get all the perennial roots out but that will be a lot easier without the thick surface canopy.

Has anyone else tried using one of these?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

R6robbo

Re: Tried out my new toy today
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 00:43 »
What it won't do is get into the really hard compacted stuff that has been under black plastic weed suppressant for several year

That is exactly what they are superb at.
I bought one to try on my plot where a spade wouldn't touch it as the ground was so hard/compacted, a fork went in about an inch if i spent 5 minutes jumping up n down on it.
One of these went through it like a knife through butter with a good swing, problem then is levering it up if it goes too deep but you can chip away at it if its too hard.
Enjoy.
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:20 »
I think its also known as a 'Chillington' hoe, commonly used in East Asian countries. I have one of them and works wonders for me too. I find them especially great for skimming off the top of couch grass like a scythe but better as it cuts low down to ground level. It makes the couch grass easier to manage then. I found mine on ebay but the 'official' store is here:   http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/digging-hoes-and-handles-c1

If I remember correctly, the Azada hoe has a narrower blade, often double ended, one side is blade like and the other either forked or just a single ice pick like point.  Like so:
https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/product/chillington-double-headed-hoe

WulfrunFrank

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20 »
I have used a Chillington hoe and their Canterbury Fork since I got my plot two years ago. Found them both invaluable both to clear a jungle and for general use since, in fact I only use a spade to dig out established tap rooted weeds like docks. The Canterbury Fork is especially useful for getting out couch grass, instead of slicing it off and leaving the roots this will get a large part of the roots at the same time. I live local to the Chillington factory so can pick them up direct but you can buy mail order and the customer service is excellent. Other plot holders tell me that they are expensive but they will last for years and to me worth every penny. http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/digging-hoes-and-handles-c1

al78

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10 »
What it won't do is get into the really hard compacted stuff that has been under black plastic weed suppressant for several year

That is exactly what they are superb at.
I bought one to try on my plot where a spade wouldn't touch it as the ground was so hard/compacted, a fork went in about an inch if i spent 5 minutes jumping up n down on it.
One of these went through it like a knife through butter with a good swing, problem then is levering it up if it goes too deep but you can chip away at it if its too hard.
Enjoy.

Ok, I'll have another go today and try swinging harder.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17 »
video here.... (ignore the silly chat  :nowink: )

msTl0S0sPLM

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 13:01 »
Re: the video. I have a Brompton foldable bike too! Nippy little thing!:D

chillimummy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 14:34 »
They do look really useful. Have looked online and think will invest in the more lightweight medium model.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

seaside

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 15:08 »
Basically it's a large adze... and yes, a different angle of attack is required for certain digging operations.
One of my plot neighbours is from SE Asia and she uses nothing but such a traditional tool, and very efficient she is at it.
I also use something very similar in effect that I've had for donkey's ears, and I quaintly call it ..... a pick axe  :). An adze-type tool is fine when ground is loose and well maintained, but a harder compacted soil needs a sharper, deeper leverage.

There are only so many tools a person can buy. So, the pick will remain. The fork is still my best friend though where gardening is concerned. The spade is nowhere, apart from a bit of edging.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 15:22 by seaside »

al78

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 16:27 »
Having tried again this morning I can confirm that despite a vigorous swinging action I could not get into the really compacted soil with my Azada. At best I was just chipping bits off the surface. I resorted to using the fork and standing on it whilst wiggling it from side to side to get the fork well into the ground then use the handle as a lever to pull the fork up and the soil with it. Have now got just over half the compacted area broken up into big clods, will tackle the rest next weekend. I intend to cover it with cardboard and leave it over the winter and let the frost shatter the clods for me (this worked well last year on the compacted ground at the other end of the plot).

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 18:41 »
I have used this tool extensively, from when I ran a farm in Kenya to now in the UK.

Which size did you buy? With the largest heaviest Chillington model I can break just about any ground. I have also just invested in a Canterbury Fork (Right Angle Fork) for breaking turf.

I also have the small one with 2 points and a small azada, this is great for weeding and drawing seed rows.

al78

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 18:45 »
I have used this tool extensively, from when I ran a farm in Kenya to now in the UK.

Which size did you buy? With the largest heaviest Chillington model I can break just about any ground. I have also just invested in a Canterbury Fork (Right Angle Fork) for breaking turf.

I also have the small one with 2 points and a small azada, this is great for weeding and drawing seed rows.

I got the heavy-medium Azada.

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 21:12 »
I have a medium one and it makes mincemeat of anything on our plot.  When we first started we had compaced soil, plastic, carpet, weeds, you name it.  Much easier than a spade or fork,  especially if your back isn't 100%.  Can't recommend them highly enough.   Also like the little hand held pointed one.  Very good for all round use at close quarters and marking out drills etc.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 21:43 »
In Africa every farm worker has one issued and every person who grows anything uses one to hoe the weeds and plant crops etc.. I brought one with me when we moved to the UK from Zimbabwe a decade ago..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
today's tea

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 00:42
by celsis
xx
Look what I got today...!

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 21:38
by peapod
xx
I did this all by myself today. :)

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 09:54
by Lady Lottie
xx
my day today!!!

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 23:20
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 35 queries.