Raised Beds/Growbags

• 7 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds/Growbags
« on: December 12, 2012, 14:10 »
I don't have any spare soil so can I use the contents of this years growbags to fill my raised beds?

simonwatson

Re: Raised Beds/Growbags
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 14:49 »
It will be pretty exhausted after growing whatever it grew this year, so you'll need to add an appropriate amount of fertilizer to it. Also make sure you don't grow anything from the same crop family in the raised bed next year, as per normal crop rotation.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 15:01 »
All my spent compost from this year (grow bags, pots, cold-frame etc) gets added to my long-term compost heap. As noted above, it has little left to offer in its current state but after 12 months or so on the heap it will become part of a growing medium or mulch for me to use again

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:23 »
All my spent compost from this year (grow bags, pots, cold-frame etc) gets added to my long-term compost heap. As noted above, it has little left to offer in its current state but after 12 months or so on the heap it will become part of a growing medium or mulch for me to use again

That is what I do as well and works perfectly. I have 2 compost bins. One is full of 12 month old 'refreshed' compost ready and waiting to go into next years containers, the other has all this years spent container compost in and is the current heap for garden and kitchen waste.

The only compost that I dont recycle in this way is that used to grow my potatoes; this gets used as a mulch around the flower beds and borders.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 18:13 »
All of the compost and growbags go into one raised bed as soon as the bed is clear. I have four beds that are 8ft square and one longer bed at home.
 One bed will be covered with manure, the next one will have the contents of the compost bins, and the next will be totally covered with the leafmould bins contents, the last square bed then gets all the old compost an growbags. This bed will then be planted with carrots, parsnips beetroot etc next year.  everything moves up a space then, so the bed with all the old compost added this year will receive lots of manure next year and so on...

Totty

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10 »
One bed will be covered with manure, the next one will have the contents of the compost bins, and the next will be totally covered with the leafmould bins contents, the last square bed then gets all the old compost an growbags. This bed will then be planted with carrots, parsnips beetroot etc next year.  everything moves up a space then, so the bed with all the old compost added this year will receive lots of manure next year and so on...

That sounds wonderfully organised. I presume that you also rotate what you grow in the beds. So what will you grow in the bed that got..

1. The manure?
2. The compost bin contents?
3. The leaf mold?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42 »
I grow tomatoes in my growbags in the greenhouse at home, so at the end of the season the bags are emptied on to any beds where I don't intend growing potatoes - I use the growbag material more or less like a soil improver by digging the fibrous matter in to the soil rather than for the nutrient content.  There never seems to be enough compost to do the entire plot so this helps

Totty

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 18:17 »
I'll plant peas and beans into the manured ground, next year it will be dressed with leaf mold and will house the brassicas, who will take advantage of the nitrogen fixed by the bean and peas. The compost bin material will have both squashes and sweet corn grown in it.

Totty

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 23:34
by Trillium
xx
raised beds

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 21:48
by Trillium
xx
Raised beds

Started by vegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2007, 12:02
by supersprout

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 36 queries.