new plot

• 2 Replies

monkeyboysee

new plot
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:36 »
hi,

i'm going to dig over a spare bit of land to create a veg plt. at the moment it is rough grass, the earth underneath is very clayey where i live; should i just dig over the grass, chop and mix it in or do i need to remove the grass then dig over?
do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: new plot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:42 »
You have to lift the turf, try to lift with roots but as little soil as possible.........stack grass down somewhere for a year or so. Will make nice soil after a year or so of rotting.
If you just turn the grass in it  it will regrow unless you can bury it very deep, difficult in a clay soil. :(

woodburner

Re: new plot
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:05 »
hi,

i'm going to dig over a spare bit of land to create a veg plt. at the moment it is rough grass, the earth underneath is very clayey where i live; should i just dig over the grass, chop and mix it in or do i need to remove the grass then dig over?

It's a bit late too for burying the grass, anyway. If you can't lift the turf off the whole area, cover the rest with black plastic or cardboard. You might not leave it down long enough to kill everything off but even a month makes a difference to how much 'herbage' you have to deal with.   ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
A new plot...

Started by Nevthedigger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 08:54
by shaun
xx
New plot

Started by Katejs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 20:49
by gobs

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 40 queries.