Hi - TheDirector Needs Help!

• 2 Replies

TheDirector

« on: January 12, 2008, 15:44 »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and new to gardening.  Im hoping some of you could help me and sort of guide me through things!

BACKGROUND STATUS - I got an allotment a couple of months ago - it is in quite a state as it was simply an overgrown area on the allotment site until I got it. And its also next to the railings, so as well as loads of weeds, there is lots of glass and litter.  So I've got it covered with some black sheeting given from the bloke who runs the site.  Also made a start at clearing it.

With Christmas over, Im going to get back to it and try get the whole thing cleared.  But I have a few initial questions:

- I want a shed on it and the bloke said to try keep some of the rubble I come across to make a foundation.  Well so far I havent cos its all intermingled with litter and glass!  When I have the bit cleared (next to the railings) cant I just put paving slabs down and plonk the shed on that or do I have to make a foundation. If so, HOW DO I DO IT? Where else can I get rubble?  Ive never really done DIY so do not have much knowledge.  Any help will be appreciated! :-)

- Secondly, can someone explain to me the reason for raised beds?  I understand the reason of compartmnetalising things for ease of moving around them.  But do the beds  have a bottom put in? Is it to stop weeds growing in them? Why do they need to be raised? Sorry if I am being stupid!  Can the beds simply not be raised and be defined by paths of say straw? Im no doubt missing the point!!!

Any help is really appreciated! Thank you!

noshed

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 16:27 »
Hello and welcome.
I did my shed by just buying some cheap slabs and plonking them down on trampled earth, levelled as best I could. I then just put the shed on that (it's only a small one). That seems to have worked OK.
Raised beds are not compulsory by any means. And there are drawbacks in providing homes for snails and a bit of a pain to build when you're just starting out. You don't want to end up doing more carpentry than gardening.
If your soil is bad it's worth considering but you could also use the prarie method which most of my neighbours use - just dig the whole lot and plant in blocks, sometime using straw for temporary paths.
Whereas I've divided my plot into 1.2m wide beds which I try not to walk on. They are separated by weedy,grassy paths. The two main ones are getting raised because I've dug a lot of compost into them but they don't need edging (our soil is fairly heavy).
Have a look at what everyone else has done.
Hope this helps.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

splodger

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 18:23 »
for my shed - which has just gone up in my garden - i made the floor to fit so that the boards of the shed just overhang - the floor is made in three sections - and is similar to a pallet construction, with the runners underneath - but the top is not open like a pallet  :roll:  or else i would fall through the gaps - i'm only little  :roll:

i got the ground as level as i could - then got a load of bricks - my floor just sits on bricks - so it won't rot  :wink:

re the raised beds - it depends on what you want - i use beds - but they are not all raised at the moment - i can only do a few a year properly. i scavenge old wooden boards and save them up til i have enough - i just got a load of freecycle - so i have no excuses  :roll:

i go a bit mad though - i dig a large trench at one end of the bed to be - going down about a ft and 1/2 i edge that end with boards and chestnut pegs 1'3 below ground 2/3 above ground. i then get my giant riddle (made from an avairy panel) and lay it over the trench - i then go about riddling the bed - removing all weed roots and all bar the small stones. i clear 1 side at first and board that - riddle a bit more - get to the other end - board that - then riddle the other side and board that.

it takes me a while - because i am not as able bodied as the majority - but a 10 x 4 bed only takes me about 2 1/2 hours to do.

i then have a perennial weed free bed - no stones - no more heavy digging - i don't need to walk on it - and i can just add compost, leafmould or manure as i require

it's a lot of faffing - but for me it works - and it means a lot less hard work a few years down the line - when i may not be able to dig at all  :wink:

now that i have completely confused you - i'm back of to gyo  :wink:

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 32 queries.