A couple more questions!

• 8 Replies

foxi loxi

A couple more questions!
« on: May 16, 2011, 20:32 »
Hey guys
I'm going to be ordering the mesh for my run in the next few days, would 2" poultry netting be ok and i was also wondering if a 4 1/2' fence would be high enough?
Also i wanted to ask about coop hight, i'm going to raise the coop off the floor and i was thinking 18" is that ok?
Many thanks

gracie

• Experienced Member
Re: A couple more questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 21:08 »
We bought weld mesh, I know it's more expensive but far more reliable in keeping baddies out and will definitely last longer, so if u can manage in the long run it is better value for money. The only thing I would say about the coop is that if it is permanent you will need to clean underneath it and with only 18 inches you will be getting on your hands and knees. That's not really a problem just thinking of your back. Is the fence for the run or your garden?  If it's for the run are you going to cover it with mesh or something. Our mesh has been put within a frame so it can be lifted so I can dig the area over more easily. Obviously if you have a really large run that's not possible.
Hope it goes well

foxi loxi

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 21:46 »
Thanks for the reply gracie!
The mesh is for a 32sq meter run on my allotment, i'm thinking about double layering the bottom by about 18" and burying the mesh by 18" to keep those meanies out. Do you think 5 1/2' high would be better? I don't want any escapees!
I'm going to put the coop on a flagged hard standing hopefully that will make for slightly easier cleaning (hose at the ready)! Would 18" be high enough for them to frolic around under?  :D
Many thanks

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 21:57 »
Not really sure about the fence height, someone else with a run on an allotment will probably advise. Flag stones are ok but it might be nice to have some of the area without just so they can scratch in it and even make their own dust bath, under the coop the stones would help with cleaning. Can't see why the 18 inches won't work, they might like to go under it for shelter. Ours is boarded on 3 sides so they can get some wind protection when necessary (just the area under the coop)

foxi loxi

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 22:44 »
Other half already has the dust bath orders......oh no, i am sounding bossy!  :tongue2:
I hadn't thought about boarding it what a great idea!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 00:51 »
Most of the height questions can be answered with a single requirement:  Everything needs to be high enough so you can clean inside it easily.

I have a walk-in coop which makes regular cleaning a breeze.  I can go right inside with a leaf rake and fluff/turn the litter in a matter of seconds, so I do it every day.  If access was harder I might be tempted to take short-cuts when I'm in a hurry (or when I'm wearing my good clothes).

So if a 5 1/2' high run is high enough for you to clean it out, then it's high enough.  Personally it wouldn't work for me, so I would either make the run roof higher or do what gracie suggested and have removable roof panels.

foxi loxi

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 21:33 »
Thanks for that Lindeggs, i was thinking about not putting a run roof on, so i was wondering more about how high would be high enough so the hens couldn't escape over the top, if that makes sence!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 21:37 »
Some of our hybrids and the Barred lymouth Rocks can clear a 6ft high fence, but others don't seem to bother.  A couple of our lower runs, I've covered with pond neeting from Willkinsons.  The birds try to fly up and hit the net, then they don't bother.

Predators like foxes could easily get in, but in our 9 years here, we've never seen a fox!

foxi loxi

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 21:46 »
Am i understanding you right, a fox could climb the fence?  :blink:
I was thinking that a run that size would be difficult to top with mesh, i'll ask around on the allotments about predator visits and go from there!

xx
Well I went to collect a couple......

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

21 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 19:27
by jinty1911
xx
DO chicken go off food when moulting and other questions about moulting?

Started by SamT on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 19:27
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 35 queries.