Getting the greenhouse beds in good condition

• 7 Replies

stickles123

Getting the greenhouse beds in good condition
« on: February 29, 2012, 15:16 »
Hi, I've just started on my plot. The greenhouse that was there had a couple of broken panes, so I've sorted that out. Is it ok to clean the insides of the glass with very dilute Milton sterilizer fluid? I have weeded the beds but the soil is in such poor condition it is like dust!
Really need to get them back in good condition - any ideas gratefully received - not sure what had been growing in them before but the weeds seemed ok!
Thanks
Stacey :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting the greenhouse beds in good condition
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 16:09 »
The soil will look like dust cos it's had no rain inside - I bet if you give it a watering it won't seem half as bad ;)

I's worth digging in some compost from the heap or manure, whichever you've got, and I like to add a little calcified seaweed for the trace elements :)

stickles123

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 16:13 »
Thanks for your reply Lesley, I was wondering about manure myself as there is a ready supply from the smallholding up the road. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 16:20 »
It's worth asking about any herbicides that have been used to ensure that it is safe to use on your plot.

Read this thread and the link that's given in it  :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=83537.msg930689#msg930689

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 17:07 »
Milton is a weak solution of sodium hypochlorite and common salt (same as toilet bleach, but weaker) and breaks down into chlorine (the active ingredient) and more salt.

Unless you were to go absolutely berserk with a power washer full of the stuff there won't be enough salt to cause any problems with the soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 18:04 »
I just got some blood, fish and bone from w***kos to add to my greenhouse soil.  It was dead cheap and looks good stuff.  Any decent food will help the soil.  Have you tested it for acidity/alkalinity?

Isn't it all exciting!! Our first greenhouse, too.

stickles123

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:09 »
Thanks for all the replies, I shall certainly be carrying out your tips!! :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:25 »
I clean my greenhouse glass in January/early Feb with good old Jeyes fluid - it stinks but it kills any potential spores from blighted tomaotes or things like that.
Then I use a stinky sulphur candle just to make sure the greenhouse is infection free.

I don't have permanent beds in my greenhouse but some good manure and appropriate foodstuffs like fish,blood and bone or seaweed based product will invigorate any soil.

If the previous plants did have a something nasty like blight, the spores are likely to remain in the soil for a while. In that case ypu may need to dig them out and replace the soil from scratch.

Emma

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 35 queries.