Culled my first cockerell today

• 11 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« on: December 27, 2008, 18:21 »
Well, I had to do it.

There's been a 'stray' banty LS x cockerell running around the allotments for the last week, so I took him in to keep him safe whilst I made enquiries as to who he belonged to.

As I expected, nobody claimed him so today he went the journey.

It was a lot harder than I expected, he was only a bantam but I didn't seem to have enough strength / long enough arms to snap his neck properly so had to asphixiate [sp?] him instead.

The job was done in around one minute and he has been incinerated on my bonfire so there's no chance of him attracting vermin.

Should it have taken that long?  I hoped that his neck would snap, as shown by Munty in his how to kill a chook thread but although I heard a few clicks as if the vertabrae were separating along his neck he sat up again when i let go!!  :shock:   I made sure that my second attempt (poor luv) was more effective, and had the wood axe nearby in case that one didn't work.

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 19:57 »
IMHO one should not attempt to kill an animal if you do not know what you are doing. In any doubt whatsoever find someone who will do it humanely please and IF that route is the only possible option.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 20:24 »
Thanks for your supportive words Foxy.

One was not in any doubt, otherwise I wouldn't have attempted it.  There was nobody else around who could have shown me (that I'd have trusted anyway; another local guy kills his in a far less humane way) and it's not as if I didn't read up and check my facts first.

I got it wrong with the amount of force needed that's all.  It's a hard lesson learned, but at least next time I'll have a better idea of how much pressure to use.

perhaps I should have just set it free to live among peoples brassicas and let the fox get it instead.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 22:32 »
Snoozi, we all have to learn.

I haven't done it yet. Will have to soon. I understand that chickens just dont know they are dead for a while. Dont feel too bad.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 22:36 »
Hun, having read munty's words here and having had to do the deed myself to a poorly hen - I can totally offer hugs of sympathy ((Hugs)).. remember that you did the best you could even if it didn't go perfect.

There is one other method i read elsewhere that may be worth noting while we're on the topic. That if you lay their head down on the ground (swing gently to get them to settle) you can put a broom handle or whatever across their neck stand on one side then the other and pull up that way.. this would work as you wouldn't need the strength in your arms. just to naturally stand tall.

Really sorry you've had to go through this. I do love my chooks but to a lesser extent than before I did the deed.. they are no longer pets really... not like my dogs etc. I know i'd do it again if I had to and that has made me view them differently.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 23:11 »
It's harder than it looks IMHO,  but there's definitely a learning curve esp if your on your own.
Put it down to experience Suzi you'll probably do better next time.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 00:17 »
Agree with richy - i killed my first chicken three times if i remember and the last time was with a spade (mind that did work well  :oops:  )
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Jellyhead

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:09 »
Not a nice thing to have to do I know but I am with Foxy on this one. I would have found someone who could show me properly first (as I am going to in the near furture). I could/would never take the risk that it may suffer before it died,  if it didn't die in the first few seconds even, I would be mortified. So for me it is be shown properly first or take it to the vet. I need to learn for when I have a hen that is suffering but so far when that has happened my vet has put her to sleep for me.
I am sorry for you Snoozi and as you say you learned a hard lesson, unfortunatley.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

monarch

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:55 »
Has anyone seen my banty LS x cockerell he got lost when I took him to Durham for Christmas shopping???????????????????/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
If you can't catch it grow it!!

Porffor

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:14 »
Someone to show me, would have been nice, but not an option I had as I'm the only one that has kept chickens in my friends and family.

:lol: at monarch! lol

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 12:06 »
Quote from: "monarch"
Has anyone seen my banty LS x cockerell he got lost when I took him to Durham for Christmas shopping???????????????????/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oops!  LOL!

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50 »
I failed ridiculously at my first (and only) attempt at wringing a birds neck, but I had prepared an alternative method just in case.
Cutting the bird's throat so that the arteries are severed is another, but every method (of throat slitting) that I have found described with sufficient detail involves hanging the bird up by it's legs. It's probably just as well as I don't think holding a live bird's head in one hand while wielding a very sharp knife mere centimetres away is a good idea.

The following quote is from Journey to Forever
Doing it

-- "Do you know how to kill a chicken?" Granny Choi asked. "Of course I do," Keith replied. "You take it by the head and chop its body off."

Decapitation is probably the best way, especially for beginners. Cutting their throats works well, and is probably just as instant. Reflex flapping makes both these ways messy. The non-messy way is to wring (break) their necks, but it takes practise to get it right and it's rough on the birds while you climb your learning curve. Maybe you know someone who can show you how.

Kill birds well away from the rest of the flock, take them away one at time -- don't make them wait in line for what they know is going to happen.

Head
Use a cleaver, the heavier the better, and keep it sharp. Use a big, heavy piece of timber as a chopping block. Hammer a nail into it near one end. Tie a short length of thin rope to the nail and put a noose in the other end. Lay the bird down on its back on the block, put the noose round its neck and tighten it -- not too tight. Hold the bird by the legs and pull it away from the nail so it can't move but isn't stretched. If you stroke its chest a bit and make gentle, reassuring noises it'll relax and probably close its eyes. Now's your chance. It needs a single, swift, well-aimed and decisive blow. Keep hold of the legs, hold the bird away from you until the reflex flapping stops.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
wow, i done it.. (culled cockerel then cooked it)

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 11:27
by nuzuki
xx
Help with cockerell please!!

Started by rocky on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 07:44
by chickenlady
xx
silent cockerell??

Started by kazzii2010 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:20
by joyfull
xx
One of my hens is a cockerell

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 21:22
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.