What should I do............

• 6 Replies

Jellyhead

« on: December 28, 2008, 15:28 »
...now that I realise I have been a complete Jellyhead :oops:
I never gave it a thought, or realised when reading up on them, that turkeys that were bred for meat don't live long :oops:  :oops: Yes I know....thick....daft as a brush....I know that but what do I do now with my lovely Terence and Delilah. They are about 9 months old and huge :shock: still very gentle with me but huge none the less. It just never occurred to me that they get too fat for there little legs and therefore dont have very long lives...yes I know...bred for meat...the penny just never dropped.
So, what do I do now :? gotta do whats best for THEM, someone said to me yesterday that I should have had them for Christmas and that it really is a waste of a life for them to die and not be eaten, they have a point, but I aint gonna part with them if I don't have to. So, Grannie, Aggy, Sarah, what dya reckon :?:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 15:36 »
Jelly, my friend has a white commercial turkey as a pet and she just keeps her on a very strict diet but how long she will actually live is another question.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 15:37 »
If they are moving around ok at the moment and don't appear to be struggling then I'd leave them be for now :)

Make sure you don't give them too many fatty treats and if they are happy let them enjoy life :D

Sarah :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 16:18 »
YIPPEEEEEEE WEYHEY WOOHOO

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 16:32 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
YIPPEEEEEEE WEYHEY WOOHOO

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

perhaps you could buy them a treadmill? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 17:12 »
Please can we have a picture of Jellys turkeys on a treadmill.

that would be amazing.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 17:51 »
Jelly, you're not the only one, i done the same thing by rescuing a broiler chicken and even though she was a Ross/Cobb i took her to be ex batt, which just isn't the same[ i think its worse in birds bred for meat ]. When the penny finally dropped i also panicked because of all the treats i'd given her and expecting her to die on me, she was very heavy.
         I got lots of advice and got her free-ranging with the others, i still gave her treats but made her come further to get them.
        Sadly , she got a foot infection, i bought her indoors, took her to the vets, anti-biotics etc, but she got too bad and i had her put to sleep. It was my first loss and i had devoted so much time to her, she was really special. It wouldn't stop me doing it again as she had a really good couple of months.
        Try to keep everything as flat as poss, the slightist jump can cause what happened to Grace. Just enjoy them whilst you can, they can live good longish lives.Try to be strict, its for their own good[ i found it hard!]
       Good luck kitkat
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.