8 unexpected hens update!

• 7 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
8 unexpected hens update!
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:43 »
Hi all

Just to let you know my 8 chicks are now 4 weeks old (where does the time go) we put them outside and mum has decided after a couple of days to take them back to her friends in the old coop, and they all roam around the garden together (ish) in the day!

Ive lost one which I found Wed, think it died because it didnt find its way in at night, and then died with the cold, its been very wet here, and some frosts but on the whole very mild! couldnt see any damage or injury on it.

The combs have started on four and the others almost have like streaky hair on there heads, so just a waiting game now for how many cockerals and hens!

None of my hens are laying at the minute and White is still sitting on her two eggs, maybe she has other week or so before we see what comes out!

Im putting the chick crumb in the box that we built for them during the day as they still use this as a shelter, the other hens dont really go in there apart from mum, and she wont be laying for a while yet!

Here are a couple more photos!

http://s1059.beta.photobucket.com/user/frenchliving/media/8%20new%20chicks/DSC_0424_zps1aaf4906.jpg.html

http://s1059.beta.photobucket.com/user/frenchliving/media/8%20new%20chicks/DSC_0437_zps0259e811.jpg.html

http://s1059.beta.photobucket.com/user/frenchliving/media/8%20new%20chicks/DSC_0435_zps32343a6f.jpg.html

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Re: 8 unexpected hens update!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:45 »
I never know which line to copy so maybe this one will post the pics direct on the page!

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46 »
Voila thats better, I will post the other two here!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47 »
Aww Frenchy, they are gorgeous!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09 »
They are really pretty little chicks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22 »
I love to see Barnyard mix chicks they are so nice.  They do grow so quickly and they are such a joy to watch.  I hope that you don't have too many cockerels.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11 »
how much longer do you think before I can tell, combs no combs telling me something?? what are your thoughts! Most of them are quite dark feathering (after dad!)

Did read your post in culling the cocks though, dont think im brave enough though!! Being here dont think i will struggle to rehome them even if it is just for the pot!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 17:15 »
The really dark one in the last photo looks like a cockerel going by the colour of the comb.  If female it should stay light coloured and less developed until the are near laying.  It is hard to tell with the others that have their heads down.

When they start to get their neck feathers you might be able to tell better.  All the cockerels I have had their neck freathers were really slim and pointy.

xx
New Hens Update

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 20:12
by Vember
xx
Update on hens health

Started by betty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 11:18
by Bodger
xx
Can hens twist their ankles - update

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 20:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
I forgot to lock up my hens last night and paid the price :( Update pg 2

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 21:47
by Carla

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.