OK I'm ready for them !!!!

• 23 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: OK I'm ready for them !!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 10:33 »
Good job we don't have a 'Best crop protection construction' competition running on here - there would only be one entrant!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 12:04 »
That is truly excellent, Barley. What productive way to spend those winter evenings  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 14:05 »
wow  :lol:

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 15:25 »
I was just thinking we have a very old 5 person tent frame bought circa 1975 which I put into the storage unit 18 months ago because my eldest daughter thought she might need it - maybe, just maybe, if I can find someone to help me sort out the netting we could have a very large frame just like yours!
Where did you get the gazebo frame from? I could do with something like that to construct a fruit cage. Also have you got a door? Also how is it in the wind? have you put the upright poles into the ground?

mjg / eight ball my gazebo came from ebay about 5 years ago for a party - we only paid £40 for it
here's the same one for a similar price --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-x-9M-Waterfroof-Outdoor-Garden-Gazebo-Canopy-Party-Wedding-Tent-Marquee-/271838229594 --- I only used half the legs for height as it would be to tall otherwise for just cabbages  :D , and one other thing we did was drill holes in the tubular frames and plastic holders and placed split pins through them as we found the frame a bit flimflam ( after all it was only £40 so didn't expect it to be that robust for that money  ;) )

we used road pins tied to the poles to anchor it down like these

and I just cut the netting to the gazebo shape and pinned it together whilst the frame was up last autumn and then used nylon twine like this to sew it together - I did it by hand whilst watching TV in the winter - my living room was like a fishermans trawler doing fishing net repairs  :lol: no door just open a flap back and climb in and then clip it up again after leaving

oh and I used plant clips similar to these to hold it on the frame

Blimey! That's fantastic. Just how many cabbages do you grow??

about 80 total - summer cabbage , January kings and brussells

Cool thanks. Any chance of a close up shot of the split pins so I can better understand what you mean?

Did you leave it up all winter?

Mum2mj

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 18:49 »
Awesome set up!  :D

mrsbean

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 20:15 »
wow... from me too. i got OH to cover my 3 shelf plastic greenhouse with scaffold green netting as a hardening up tent. will make him view your brill job, in the hope he may get some ideas. well done you.

barley

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 20:53 »

Cool thanks. Any chance of a close up shot of the split pins so I can better understand what you mean?

Did you leave it up all winter?

certainly - :)  this is one of the top plastic holders that the tubes go into - we drilled through them both when they were pushed together and just pushed a large split pin through as they tended to pull apart easily without some sort of pin , we didn't spread the pin underside as it holds it firm enough just being pushed through but you could spread them if you wanted to

and I numbered them with a marker pen so I knew which ones go together next time

on the side ones we did the same but just used up some plastic headed nails we had left over , just drill the same and pushed trough

and here's a close up of the clips holding the netting

and No we didn't have it up all winter , don't need to no pesky cabbage whites about then - seen 1 today though so get netting  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 21:08 »
How funny is that, hubby said just the other day about doing exactly the same thing :lol:. Looks brilliant.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 22:23 »
impressive!
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

xx
Getting ready!

Started by PeterR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 20:07
by PeterR
xx
ready already!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:19
by sunshineband
xx
What do I need to do to new bed ready for

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 09:22
by Beetroot queen
xx
Ready to go!

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 18:01
by Hey Jude

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 37 queries.