Onions and how to grow them.

• 18 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions and how to grow them.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 12:30 »
I grew Ailsa Craig last year and they get to a fair size when sown early.  Piccy here at the start of the thread a few posts down.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131334.0

They don't get as big as Globo, but are still very mild and juicy, so I would persevere with them.  OH loved them as whole roasted onions as a side dish, or baked stuffed onions as a main dish.  I think I would have a mutiny if there were none this year.  He is usually indifferent to most of my veg seedlings in the house, but spotted the onions and was happy to see them in progress  :lol:

I also clump sow spring onions.  Works well  :)  I do beetroot, turnips and baby leeks the same way.

Mr Dog

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 14:02 »
I grew Ailsa Craig last year and they get to a fair size when sown early.  Piccy here at the start of the thread a few posts down.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131334.0

They don't get as big as Globo, but are still very mild and juicy, so I would persevere with them.  OH loved them as whole roasted onions as a side dish, or baked stuffed onions as a main dish.  I think I would have a mutiny if there were none this year.  He is usually indifferent to most of my veg seedlings in the house, but spotted the onions and was happy to see them in progress  :lol:

I also clump sow spring onions.  Works well  :)  I do beetroot, turnips and baby leeks the same way.

Same here - although with beetroot I only sow 1 seed per module which normally gives a clump of 3 or 4.

Silva

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 14:59 »
Those Ailsa Craig are beauties! :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 20:16 »
I have come to the conclusion that growing veg for the average Joe in their garden has to be more simple than is being made out :lol:

I think you are quite right there  :lol:  We are not growing to meet a supermarket standard or for giant veg.  We are growing to eat well on our own homegrown veg, be it perfectly formed or with its own individual character a.k.a. wonky veg  :lol:

Absolutely , with the added bonus of far superior flavour and knowing that no nasties have been used to produce ' perfect ' produce.   My family can tell the difference between supermarket Desiree and our own.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Best way to grow onions

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 09:39
by Eblana
xx
I want to grow onions.

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 15:09
by AndyRVTR
xx
Best way to grow onions

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 19:13
by SG6
xx
Will my onions grow any more?

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 08:10
by GYO Girl

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 43 queries.