Parsnips, Carrots, Leeks Cook to Store

• 5 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Parsnips, Carrots, Leeks Cook to Store
« on: February 24, 2023, 13:15 »
Harvested the last of the parsnips. Normally I’d expect them to keep for at least another month or two even. The problem is that it’s been so warm that the parsnips are regrowing already. The only thing to do is use them or lose them. About 3 kilos which is a fair amount.

Cleared a carrot bed from the polytunnel. Lots of very little ones but quite a few decent sized. I really should have thinned them out months ago but I didn’t so we are where we are. All in all, about 4 kilos of usable carrots, not too shabby!
Diary post here
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnips, Carrots, Leeks Cook to Store
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 14:30 »
I quite often get a freebie stew pack from work (reduced not sold) and make a mixed root mash for the freezer.  It is a great standby.

As for gadgets - I have an old fashioned pressure cooker but I am a bit afraid of it  :blush:  I must make an effort to use it more. My air-fryer is used a lot.  I have to say it makes sublime croutons from a dash of oil, seasoning and any old stale bread you want to use up. Worth bearing in mind for all that soup  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 15:26 »
I know a lot of people are saying positive things about air fryers so we may get one sometime.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 19:34 »
John, did you know you can can in a high dome pressure cooker? I now can most of my stocks & soups so they are shelf stable. Saves freezer space for other stuff and a jar can be reheated quite quickly, I can even just take a jar to the plot & reheat there  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 23:51 »
John, did you know you can can in a high dome pressure cooker? I now can most of my stocks & soups so they are shelf stable. Saves freezer space for other stuff and a jar can be reheated quite quickly, I can even just take a jar to the plot & reheat there  :)
Yes, surprisingly we did know that.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/bottling-canning/pressure-bottling-canning/
and we covered it in more depth in our book How to Store Your Home Grown Produce
Having a large chest freezer as well as an upright we're not too tight on space and freezing is less faff than pressure bottling. If we got a long power cut the freezers hold for 36 hours and we've a small genny to keep things ticking over.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 11:55 »
Lol, John, should have checked my copies of those before posting  :nowink: but I was being lazy & couldn’t be bothered to go upstairs, that’ll larn me as we say oop north

xx
Spaghetti Squash, Pumpkins & Parsnips

Started by John on New Across The Site

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2021, 19:02
by John
xx
Heeling in the leeks

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 18:54
by John
xx
Growing Leeks

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 12:17
by Growster...
clip
Heeling in the Leeks

0 Replies
Last post February 27, 2019, 11:49
by John

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 41 queries.