Mystery

• 5 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Mystery
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:03 »
I have a mixed little flock of 12 at the moment who all freerange happily in the large garden space. At night Minnie and 2 youngest chick go back to bed in their little coop. The others all go into the larger. For the past few nights one of the pekin teens (13 weeks) is missing from the coop and then appears in the morning nonchalantly pottering around waiting for the others to be let out. We have searched each night with torches in. on and under bushes, up in trees, over fences to no avail and then there she is next morning again as if butter wouldn't melt. We just can't think where she goes. My husband thinks he might set up a camera (I'm getting him hooked ) and tonight I am planning to be out there all evening to watch the 'escape' . This is the side of chicken keeping you don't know in advance. They keep us on our toes!

Springlands

Re: Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11 »
We had one hen who dug herself a nest under the hen house and slept there for several nights before we realised what was going on. Our smallest banty regularly sleeps under the wings of one of the large welsummers - I thought she was missing recently until the little head peeked out. Hope you solve the mystery - please keep us posted.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34 »
It is difficult sometimes doing a head count to check they are all 'present and correct'.  It is a nightmare trying to count chicks when they have had a few hours out in the garden with Mum.  She seems to know instantly if one is missing though.  ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:59 »
CAUGHT IN THE ACT
Took my glass of wine and book and settled comfortably near coop at about 9. Chooks all pottering happily as they do. Then mild mannered, timid little Honey hopped onto the roof of the broody coop. Then she fluttered up onto 6 foot fence a good few feet away from coop. Oh no, I thought, she's off into next door's, I'll have to clip wings tomorrow. BUT no, she then took off way up into overhanging branches, looking down on us all , made a huge song and dance of a racket before settling for night. All the others trotted off calmly into main coop. I imagine her smirking up there on previous nights when we have been searching with torches beneath her, climbing onto fences to scan neighbours gardens. I did shine into trees but these branches did not look substantial enough. Honey is a very pretty, shy broody reared pekin aged 13 weeks. I never see her fly during day. Even her feisty brother not so adventurous!  Mystery solved!

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:04 »
 :lol: That is brilliant - I can just imagine the look on her chickeny face.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:06 »
I think they choose the thinner branches as predators would break them if they tried to get at them.  Glad you solved the mystery.   :)

xx
Mystery Solved

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 13:52
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorely tempted, bit of a mystery.

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 16:46
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.