Nitrogen feed - which veggies would benefit most?

• 5 Replies

sunflowersue

Nitrogen feed - which veggies would benefit most?
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:22 »
I have lots of old peas and bean seeds which i thought I would sow as winter manure. Which bed would benefit most in spring from a nitrogen boost?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Nitrogen feed - which veggies would benefit most?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:13 »
Assuming you are in the UK (perhaps you could add your approximate location to your personal profile) only beans of a variety suited to autumn sowing and hardy enough to survive the winter will grow, so runners, French beans but also most peas will not do much if anything (peas are hardier than summer beans but I recall DD's picture of overwintered pea plants which didn't stand up to a cold spell.)

Field beans are one hardy variety sown as a green manure - there is some doubt how much richer in nitrogen the soil is left after removing the plant because most it is locked up in the plant itself and not made available until it is dug in or composted.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunflowersue

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 13:03 »
Thanks Jay

I am in Cheshire half way between Manchester and Liverpool. The plan was to use up old seeds that I will not seed next year and dig in whatever comes up. Not really a problem if they don't grow well as I would be throwing them away anyway but I was wondering which crops prefer nitrogen rich soil?

Sunflowersue

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 13:07 »
Nitrogen is best for leafy crops.

But I agree that it really is a waste of time putting them in now- it's too cold and wet for them to germinate.  Seeds will keep a very long time if not frozen, baked or wet.  Might you use them in years to come, or have contacts who might take them off your hands?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 13:07 »
No need to throw away seeds just because they're old - obviously it depends just how old and the conditions they have been stored in. A germination test on damp kitchen roll prior to sowing could save you unnecessary expenditure.  :)

As a very general rule, vegetables grown for their leaves have the greatest demand for nitrogen, although they all require other nutrients too.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59 »
You could always eat them :D

xx
Too much nitrogen?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 21:52
by Totty
clip
Nitrogen: how to fix last year’s folly?

Started by Graeme Park on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 17, 2019, 21:44
by Graeme Park
xx
high nitrogen for raspberries too?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 08:08
by tomato-joy
xx
Nitrogen content in soil

Started by Degs on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 02:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 36 queries.