Stored Garlic rotting..

• 3 Replies

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
Stored Garlic rotting..
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:56 »
Hi folks.
After what i thought had been a great result for my first time growing non-supermarket Garlic, I kept back the biggest and best-looking bulbs to re-plant for next year's crop.

So today I decided to inspect the bulbs as I'm getting the veg plot ready for winter Brassicas and Calabrese, and noticed the bulbs seemed to be somewhat shrunken inside the paper-like outer skins.
Opening them, I found the bulbs had mostly gone soft and almost translucent from the base upwards. They also give off a rather pervasive and sickly scent I can smell even now after washing and scrubbing my hands.
These bulbs were first sun-dried for a day or two, then rested in an open shed, (relatively cool but airy), for a month or two, then brought into the house for the last month before today's inspection.

The only thing I noticed about the garlic a few days after cropping was that, when one was opened, there were a few tiny white maggots on one or two bulbs. I don't know if that is relevant, but if anyone knows what's affecting them, and how to avoid it in the future, I'd be very grateful.

Salmo

Re: Stored Garlic rotting..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 20:38 »
I presume that these are onion fly maggots and the damage they have done has let in the rot.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingonions1.shtml

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 00:17 »
It sounds like you cured the garlic properly though. A shame you missed the maggots. Now you'll know for next year unfortunately.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 14:12 »
I had mine out drying for a couple of weeks making sure the necks had shrunk down tight, anything with a thick neck was used, you may have had some that had gone/going to seed which will take the rest of the bulb with it when the seed stem rots.

xx
Old Stored Garlic

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 13:33
by Paul Plots
xx
stored garlic has tiny bugs

Started by spocke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 13:57
by LilacSandy
xx
Garlic rotting again

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 16:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
garlic rotting off

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 14:01
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 29 queries.