What is eating my runner bean leaves? A question on pea germination

• 2 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Hi All,  I have noticed something is eating my runner bean maiden leaves and reducing them to skeletons despite slug pellets spread around the plant.  Whatever is doing this is selective too!!  White Lady and Enorma are being attacked the other three varieties are being left alone (Firestorm, Scarlet Emperor, can't remember the other variety) These are young plants and not started to wind up the canines yet.

My other question concerns peas.  Planted 100+ seeds 2" deep three weeks ago and only 12 have germinated.  after a 'firkle' there is no sign of the pea seed.  What is going on here?  The seeds may be 2-3 years old and stored in-doors during the Winter.  Varieties: Early onward and Claverdon Wonder.

Mike. :)

elizabeth1

Snails?i find them much more of a problem than slugs on my site.They don't seem so attracted to slug bait although I only use the organic slug pellets.A hunt around any dark places usually let's me cull a few.
I also had a problem with mice one year although they just strimmed the shoots right down rather than leaving skeleton leaves.
It could be mice eating your peas too.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Thanks elizabeth1,
 I had not thought of snails, slugs - we have plenty on the plot but the pellets used tend to work.  It is strange, everything is eaten just leaving the leaf skeleton, usually slugs eat the lot!

Peas: The row is protected by a net closh closed at each end, there is no mice evidence - do they leave any?

Mike.

xx
Runner Bean Germination

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 20:54
by yummy
xx
runner bean germination

Started by Rose on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 10:42
by Lynne
xx
What's eating my runner bean?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 18:40
by sunshineband
xx
what's eating my runner beans leaves?

Started by caroline on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 12:18
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.