blackberry and apple jam

• 6 Replies

chrissie B

blackberry and apple jam
« on: October 18, 2012, 16:09 »
just had to tell some one who might care , but my jam has come out lovley its set perfect looks a lovley colour ive made just a small batch 3 and a half jars ne of which goes to aunty doris who keeps saying she likes it the best , shes 97 and had a nice time at hers 2 weeks back femanicing and looking at photoes of her family .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: blackberry and apple jam
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 16:47 »
We al care loads Chrissie!  Lovely to hear of people's successes, not just their failures!

Mind you, success at jam making does make me a little envious as Mine is usually too runny, no matter what I do with it, Jam sugar, extra pectin etc........

Except the plum jam I make a few years back.  It set so solid, I cut to cut lumps off it!!   :lol: :lol:
Was very nice though!   ;) ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 19:47 »
Glad your jam came out well Chrissie  :D

It is soooo good when this happens isn't it?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 20:39 »
Well done Chrissie.
It is a lovely feeling when you look at your jars on the work surface and think I made them. :) :)

I don't know if you are interested but I make a blackberry apple and brandy jam. Just simmer the fruit with a couple of  cinnamon sticks. Fish them out before you add the sugar, boil to a set and put 2 tsps brandy in each jar before you pot the jam.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 21:06 »
We al care loads Chrissie!  Lovely to hear of people's successes, not just their failures!

Mind you, success at jam making does make me a little envious as Mine is usually too runny, no matter what I do with it, Jam sugar, extra pectin etc........

Except the plum jam I make a few years back.  It set so solid, I cut to cut lumps off it!!   :lol: :lol:
Was very nice though!   ;) ;)

If your jam is too runny Grannie, may I suggest you cook your fruit a little longer to reduce the amount of water, or add a grated Bramley apple in the ratio of 8oz  to 2 lb of fruit. That ratio will not impact on the taste of the fruit you are using.

Also cook your fruit low and slow which releases the pectin. If you cook the fruit at too high a temperature you can reduce the pectin in the fruit.
 ;)

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 23:14 »
thanks everyone although i wasent meaning you all on here its the ones at home they dont get the satisfaction of doing these kind of things i useually get from them its cheaper down the shops ect and yes it probably is but they were our berries and apples , resycled jars , so just the sugar and a bit of power , i used ordinary sugar and didnt need pectin so pleased .
one of my biggest failures was in greece when we managed to grow some gooseberries , although they were small i was going to have jam and i boiled instead of simmering and ended up with glace gooseburys in my jam , still ate it
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47 »
Yes, it is cheaper at the supermarket but it is not worth eating!

Homemade is worth the calories :D

xx
blackberry & apple jam

Started by sunshineband on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 09:53
by Patricia
xx
Blackberry Jam

Started by ches on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2019, 08:50
by ches
xx
Help with Blackberry jam..

Started by gavinjconway on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 21:55
by sunshineband
xx
Blackberry jam

Started by Mum2mj on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 15:27
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.