YAY got my plot!

• 9 Replies

kezlou

YAY got my plot!
« on: June 17, 2008, 15:23 »
Well got my plot last Friday, my tiny 1/32 site but i'm chuffed as nowt.
Thought i would be waiting ages for a gate and fence, went on Monday to dig it over and lo and behold the council were fitting them in, could not believe it was in total shock!

The patch itself has been cleared of weeds was extremely happy when i saw it. Started digging and they were mounds of roots tried digging it 1 foot and it was still as bad. Found loads of bricks, glass, rusty nails, wire and general rubbish but all in all think i was quite lucky.
Another big bonus, well i think it is anyway, there three taps very close to me, so should be able to use 25m hose pipe to water it!!

So quick question to all as a total daftie who has only been planting in containers and compost so far. Should i try and did out any remaining roots, if so how far? The weeds all appear to be dead as the roots i have already remained were bone dry, or should just whack some seeds in and see how it goes?

Thanks for looking

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Pompey Spud

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 15:35 »
Well done Kez.

I'd personally dig all the roots out with all the other rubbish. Good preparation now will help for planting later on. Don't rush in & regret it.

Diggings good for you.  Good luck & where's the pics?

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

kezlou

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 15:48 »
Thanks for the advice i will do, managed to get three black bags of rubbish out of it so far. I think it must been used as dumping grounds, just hope i don't a body in there. Knowing my luck though i'll find a mysterious looking piece of rolled up carpet.  :?

No picks as the stupid ran out of battery!!!!!!!!!!.  :evil:  Had lovely pics of my little boy soaking me with the hose pipe and scoffing his massive baguette.
Hopefully the thing will be charged up eventually. Caught in the camera as well loads of baby ducklings which are nested opposite our fence. Its such a lovely spot and my son gets to watch the trains go by.

Pompey Spud

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 16:01 »
Leave the body in there. Good for the runners. :)

noshed

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 16:39 »
Have you got your compost heap on the go?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
YAY got my plot!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 16:56 »
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

Delighted for you Kerry :-)Lucky you gettin a fence and gate, I had to provide mine, and clear the plot and didnt even get a free few months!
(no complaints though, I was just happy to get a plot)

Cant wait for them pics....and get those roots dug out, its quicker than you think to get a bed dug and plant something in it
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

kezlou

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 20:41 »
Well the main reason the council put in the fence and gate (2ft high) is because next to middle (mine) a group called the Avalon Project have taken it over and needed them to be put up quickish.

I do not have a compost heap but i was going to make a small one for starters, just sawed in half a huge blue plastic barrel. One half for pumpkins and the other as a compost heap, should be taken it over tomorrow.
In order to start it off should i just put veg / fruit peelings and used teabags straight in on top of the soil? Sorry i have never done this before. :oops:

Thanks Paula, i managed to get the plot for £5 for the first year, a bargain i thought for 1/4 of a plot. :lol: Not big but good enough for me.

compostqueen

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 23:39 »
yeah straight in on top of the soil  :D  Keep compost heap covered to keep heat in as it will "cook" faster  :D

Congrats on the new plot. You won't be able to sleep tonight for thinking about it, and planning it all  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
YAY got my plot!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:22 »
nice one.. glad something was sorted out for you. Which site did you get one on in the end?

kezlou

YAY got my plot!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:44 »
Hiya Mark,

I got one over at Whitehouses, North Ormesby, its behind The Monk. People seem all right as well other than one very strange individual, but he probably thinks that about me lol

Hows you?

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
new Plot

Started by newkingsthorpe on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 23:40
by Mash Mad
xx
Here it is - the new plot!!!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 16:08
by kezlou

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.