D handle or T handle

• 17 Replies

penlee

D handle or T handle
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 22:38 »
Tregony, the gateway to the Roseland, where are you.
I,m glad I was born here in Cornwall,where pasties are out of this world,where the rich saffron cake that the Cornish girls make keeps the hairs on your chest tightly curled.

muntjac

D handle or T handle
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 22:44 »
try car boot shaun i got a cracker from there  :wink:
still alive /............

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: D handle or T handle
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 10:07 »
Quote from: "shaun"
I have been looking for a decent T handle fork but cant find one anywhere local.I did find one but it was steel and was realy heavy.all the better stainless ones only have D handles theres loads on the web but I would like to touch it before i buy it  :evil:
so shall I buy a decent D handle one and change the handle myself ?,I dont fancy it cus its never the same is it.

Spades.  I've always taken a decent blade and part of the steel shank (the curved, forged bit), then removed the wooden handle and replaced with a steel shaft.  It has to be welded to the remaining shank, but when you're done you'll have a tool that will last for ages.  35mm OD steam pipe is ideal.  The bore more or less fits over the shank (maybe with a touch of bashing) and the overall diameter is ok for the hands.  Negatives can be the overall weight (but this is a positive when heavy soil needs excavating or turning) and the coldness of the shaft on the hands in winter.  Gloves are a cure of course.

As regards the end, I prefer not a T or D handle but just a plain rounded end.  An American pattern I believe it may be called.  If you're lucky enough to get a length of pipe with a threaded end, a threaded capping piece can be used - nice and rounded and a nice sized boss for the hand.  A T or D handle always seems to get in the way at some point, whereas the hand can fit nicely over a plain end for more driving force into the earth.

I've had a digging spade like this for over 10 years and as well as excavating many a hole for the fitting of gate posts and the like, it's also seen service in digging out and removing at least 100 tons of heavy clay from the back garden, a task that took 3 years, wagonload by wagonload.

I did buy a posh stainless spade from Aldi only this year, and a bargain at less than a tenner.  Stainless shank turning to plastic covered on the upper section and with a D handle.  I'm starting to think I only got it to pose with, as whenever anything serious needs doing I always go back to the steam-pipe handled old faithful, which I know will never bend or break.  The fact is, I'm scared of using the stainless one cos it looks so nice.  :D

xx
Ridging hoe handle

Started by jackg on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 13:17
by smud6ie
xx
fitting a handle to a hoe - how??

Started by littlelisa on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 11:31
by Gwiz
sad
Replacement handle

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 23:30
by jezza
xx
Help, need to fix my mattock back onto handle!

Started by JuliaPen on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 18:04
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.