Run size help

• 17 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Run size help
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 18:06 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
I used to live in Zummerzet, can I join :?:

I was told 1 square foot per hen in the hen house, 3 square feet per hen in the run.  And Rob's right, you need to allow room for extra mud.  Plus the fact that as you'll have realised round here, you're almost bound to end up with more hens than you start with  :D    

I think it's like a greenhouse; however big you make it, it'll be too small the minute you start using it  :lol:   I've had mine set up for nearly two months and I'm already thinking about how we can expand it  :roll:

I have been looking at a henhouse with a 9ft run and it seems to look quite big and have a few hens inside.
Do companies often claim it's for more hens than it really should be used for. Or if i made something this size would i be alright for sya four birds rather than five.

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Haven_Henhouse_with_6ft_Run.html

..don't think the website is working towell at the moment
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

poultrygeist

Run size help
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 18:35 »
The usual area quoted as a minimum is about 1 square metre per bird which is 1 and a bit square yards so a run 9ftx3ft would be 3 sq yds or 2 and a bit sq metres.
I don't know how flexible this measurement can be but I think any more than 2 and you may find that after a week it'll look a lot less big than when it was empty !

Could you spare some more garden for them or is that about as big as it can get ?
If you can start with that and then extend it gradually as you add birds in, it won't be so bad.

Rob

poultrygeist

Run size help
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 18:39 »
Tried flytesofancy and still not working. They're a good company if only you could buy anythign from them !!  :evil:

Will have a look once it's up again. They need to improve their service or they'll go out of business.

rob

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Size of run

Started by OLLIE on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 11:02
by celtbhoy
xx
Run size

Started by RubyR3d on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2016, 09:58
by RubyR3d
xx
Run size

Started by Bowman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 14:20
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 34 queries.