Soft shelled eggs

• 10 Replies

raeburg

Soft shelled eggs
« on: August 19, 2008, 22:51 »
Hiya - can I do a bit more brain picking?

One of my silkies (the youngest and newest) is laying very soft shelled eggs.  They are so fragile that she walks on the and smashes them before I've time to get them out of the nest box.  They are fed layers pellets, have oyster shell grit available and graze on grass (and any other green stuff they can reach).  

Any ideas and advice?  Thanks

Rae

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 22:56 »
She may not have perfected the "putting the shell on the egg" trick yet and will improve as she gets into the swing of  laying.  Just make sure she gets plenty of calcium.

raeburg

Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 18:05 »
Will do, another bizarre egg question today though.  Found in the ex-batts covered run was a small (just over an inch) egg, with quite a rough shell on it.  The only chicken about is the unfortunately named oven ready who is in the midst of putting on new feathers.  Could it be that she's trying egg production but not quite managing it due to the stress of feather production?
Phew, hope that makes sense!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 18:37 »
Did you open it raeburg ?  It may not have had a yolk.  If so it is a wind egg (there are a few other names) The egg is formed around a piece of matter other than a yolk, sometimes a meat spot.

raeburg

Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 18:41 »
I haven't opened it yet - I wanted to show it to a friend who's mother keeps poultry.  Is it an indicator that she's "all out of eggs" or is it just something that happens from time to time?

I've had to persuade my son that i doesn't belong to the sparrow that was lurking around the hen run :)  Thanks Aunt Sally for all your advice, it's much appreciated.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 19:23 »
Auntie

I have had two tiny round eggs from my new layer (one on Tuesday) and then the two today - she was ages in the nest box and got thrown out by another hen then I found one egg where she had been standing by the fence and a while later one in the nest box. They are perfectly round but have a rough bit on both that looks similar in size - maybe nearly joined (?) I will open them tomorrow to see what is inside - if there is a yolk will they be ok to eat?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 20:07 »
They'll be fine to eat

Take some pictures for us before you crack them :D

raeburg

Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 21:49 »
damn, already cracked.  Just looked like a tiny yellow yolk in the centre.  just like an egg, only smaller!  Even the silkies eggs look big compared to this one.  We will see what we get in the future.  Considering it's only 3 weeks since they came out of the battery farm they are doing pretty well.  There hasn't been a day of no eggs and they are improving in appearance.  Feathers are coming back, combs are shrinking and reddening and they are behaving more like chickens.  Now they can't wait to be let out of the run, where as in the beginning they all wanted to stay in the house.

Thank you all for advice and encouragement.  You wouldn't believe I used to to have a very bad bird phobia (honestly, I couldn't walk amongst my mum's chickens 6 months ago).

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 21:53 »
Auntie these are the eggs - sorry for hijacking!

Round eggs with £1 coin - you may just be able to make out the rough area on the eggs - Sorry I couldn't get them any clearer  

The egg on the left is the first egg she laid on Monday, the other two seemed to pop out today! They are much smaller and seem to be round rather than oval shaped.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 00:07 »
Just eat them.  If new into lay, things will get better and bigger, usually.  I've had some real odd shapes and sizes, plus wind eggs, over the past few years.

As for laying soft shelled eggs, if you've given a good layers pellet or mash and oyster shell, try grating some cuttle fish into food.  Sometimes it is a congenital problem and birds will not recover.  Also consider moult/stress etc.

Good luck.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soft shelled eggs
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 14:33 »
picture of them cracked open too please  :D

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by Chook Chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:55
by Chook Chook
xx
soft shelled eggs

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 14:13
by muntjac
xx
Soft shelled eggs

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 19:57
by Sgun

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.