New hens arriving soon

• 3 Replies

steaders

New hens arriving soon
« on: July 27, 2009, 16:07 »
Hi I am a complete beginner with Hens so please forgive some of the silly question I am likely to ask.

However I am collecting 4 POl hens on Sunday. The coop and run is built ready. Have you any tips on how I can give them a stress free introduction to their new home. It is a bought coop and run. The house and nest boxes being off the ground with a sort of gang plank up to it.  Should I place them in the house first and let them out after a while?. If not will they find their way to bed when the evening draws in?

I have been reading this forum for a week or two and have already learnt a lot from it

Thanks in advance

themagicaltoad1

Re: New hens arriving soon
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 17:29 »
Hi & welcome, lots of us newbies on here. Sounds like you have the same sort of house as me. I just put my chicks into the run part and they soon found their way up the ramp into the house. After I'd given them a day to get used to it I let them out to free range in the garden for a few hrs each day. I've also added a bit more run for them as the one that comes with the house is really too small and they could easily get bored being so cramped. When it's time to get them back in from the garden I just call them and throw a handful of treats into the run & in they go no probs. They take themselves off to bed each evening about 7.30 and I just go out to close the pop hole after them. :D

Sparkle

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 17:40 »
Hey steaders - let me echo the magic toads welcome!

I would put the girls in the hen house first and not let them into the run at all on the first day as the relative darkness will calm them down after the stress of moving. (put some food and water in the  henhouse temporarily if you are keeping them inside)

They will then know where the safe place is, how to get inside up the ramp and will then always go back inside for bed time and egg laying etc. I would then open the pop hole in the morning so they get used to their new routine

However if they have been inside the house for just a few hours and are creating havoc to get outside into the run (like my stroppy old free range gals!) then let them into the run in the afternoon/ evening. they should go in to bed when it gets dark, then you can let them out in the morning etc

enjoy your chooks!
Sparkle

steaders

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 21:31 »
Toad and Sparkle,  thanks for the advice. I have also extended the run area as it didn't look big enough to me. Don't think I'll let them loose into the garden just yet. I think I need a bit of time for them to get used to me and me to them.

xx
HELP - Hens arriving tomorrow & can't buy food!

Started by taildragon on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2020, 09:17
by New shoot
xx
new chickens arriving later . have i done everything

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 14:21
by craig1981
xx
New girl arriving in tonight.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 14:49
by RebeccaM
xx
Chickens arriving Jan 30th

Started by Pumpkin-Kat on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 23:39
by joyfull

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 38 queries.