• 7 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
« on: October 20, 2010, 22:35 »
Hi all. I'm a newbie on 2nd year of allotment and have had hours looking at this site. I have found it very interesting and instructive. Have lots of questions to put when I get used to finding the right places to do so.
I have a problem of where to ask about pumkins not for growing or cooking but for Halloween. Last year I had several pumkins for the grandkids for halloween. Took out the seeds and the flesh(to cook with) as thin as I dared but before Halloween came the shell/skin had softened/flopted with a ripe aroma. Can anyone offer advise?

Fisherman

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17 »
Hello and welcome Ecky. These lot are a great bunch and will always give good advice with a little humour at times. Humour rarely get's out of hand as a certain nice lady watches over us ;)

Best place to post your question is in the "Grow Your Own" section.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:19 by Fisherman »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38 »
Welcome to the forums.

Don't mess with the pumpkin until halloween. As soon as you cut into it, you'll let nasties into the flesh and it will start to decay as you've found out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

loobs61

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08 »
 :) Hi Newbie, I,m a relative new to this site also, not on here as much as i would like, what with work and family and of course the garden with my new veg patch. :D
Good bunch on here always ready with advise when needed, although I have found that there is soooooo much info on here that you sometimes dont need to ask as the answer is already here waiting for you, its great so many interesting topics to read about I sometimes spend hours on here just looking through.
Have fun

GreenOwl

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 15:14 »
Second DD's comments.  Leave the pumpkin in a cool frost-free area until 30th or 31st and then let the grandkids loose!

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 22:51 »
Thanks to all who replied. For haloween it is basicaly to leave it to the last minute sort of thing.
I think this site is bril. As I think I have said before I have spent hours and hours looking thru advice helps and hints and have learned a lot. I still am a bit hesitant on how and which part to click on to post a question.
 Yesterday I realy enjoyed taking a box of mixed veg to my grandkids primary school and for them to say they had helped grow them. The pride they took was heart warming. :)

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 23:25 »
Well done ecky. I will go to sleep thinking of that :)

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:47 »
hi ecky,,im an essex boy lol,
to post a ? just go into grow your orn and click on new topic or reply to post,,t c now and gl   mick

xx
Newbie - can someone tell me what this is?

Started by h2o on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 09:43
by prakash_mib
xx
Newbie here, Hi and help please

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 21:00
by Heather_S
exclamation
Veg for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 22:20
by solway cropper
xx

Started by tim25 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 12:17
by anthony74

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 35 queries.