• my web site
where can i get a cheap wheelbarrow from
« on: May 13, 2009, 18:55 »
please any ideas please have put a post on freecycle

Celery

• Experienced Member
Re: where can i get a cheap wheelbarrow from
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 19:00 »
Look in a builders skip whenthere are fishishing the jobs.
                                                                                      celery :)

ben

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 19:27 »
Our local council tip (sorry, recycling centre), often has all manner of garden tools and implements ... perhaps there is something like that near you ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 19:32 »

This has been extensively covered on the skip diving thread elsewhere on this forum, but please do not a) assume that stuff on a skip is designed to be thrown away (someone posted that sometimes builders may store barrows etc there), or b) take anything from a skip without the permission of either the householder or skip company - otherwise it is theft.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 20:22 »
The best value ones I have seen recently are in Wilkinsons for £30 - just like the ones in B&Q and Focus only about £10 cheaper. I will need to get my hands on one for next year, my current 'rust bucket' one had 'had it' about 3 years ago.

Well worth the money though!!!

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22 »
i sold my horse a few months ago any typically had no intentions of having an allotment so gave it away and loads of tugtrubs, plastic bins ect grrrr

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54 »
Oh, good - I was going to ask about this!  I've been rather unimpressed by the ones in B&Q (I'm not paying sixty quid for something that's already falling apart!) and Homebase didn't seem to have any useful sorts in stock.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 16:33 »
Builders merchant - Travis Perkins or whatever your local one is called.  Trade outlets where the builders buy their barrows; they are tough (have to be) and have good tyres on the front.  The ones in the d-i-y sheds don't take the work and the tyres die of old age in a couple of years. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 17:51 »
Haemmerlin is the Travis make. I've had one for 20 years, at current prices thats £3 a year. I have put a much heavier tyre on it than the original, as hawthorn spikes go through the original too easily. I can understand you want a cheap one, but buying low price, low quality ones is the expensive way to do it.

Christine

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 19:57 »
I bought a cheap one and it's dying of reasonable use after a season. It will be replaced by a proper job when it finishes falling to bits.

David.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 20:18 »

This has been extensively covered on the skip diving thread elsewhere on this forum, but please do not a) assume that stuff on a skip is designed to be thrown away (someone posted that sometimes builders may store barrows etc there), or b) take anything from a skip without the permission of either the householder or skip company - otherwise it is theft.

Think that may have been me - especially at the end of a job builders will tuck all sorts of things out of the way, including on their skip.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 23:19 »

Builders merchant - Travis Perkins or whatever your local one is called.  Trade outlets where the builders buy their barrows; they are tough (have to be) and have good tyres on the front.  The ones in the d-i-y sheds don't take the work and the tyres die of old age in a couple of years. 

Haemmerlin is the Travis make. I've had one for 20 years, at current prices thats £3 a year. I have put a much heavier tyre on it than the original, as hawthorn spikes go through the original too easily. I can understand you want a cheap one, but buying low price, low quality ones is the expensive way to do it.

Excellent advice.

Chillington is another make I would recommend.

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
Old wheelbarrow

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 08:05
by diospyros
xx
wheelbarrow

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 23:44
by BrianK
xx
Advice on a new Wheelbarrow needed

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 23:16
by moz

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 35 queries.