Aldi Plum and Pear trees £3.99

• 8 Replies

composthappens

Aldi Plum and Pear trees £3.99
« on: February 07, 2014, 15:57 »
Hi everyone, i am looking for feedback on the fruit trees available in Aldi.  I know that some grow and self fertalize. I want to buy just one pear tree for my garden but  iam not sure if it will fruit on its own.

Many thanks. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Aldi Plum and Pear trees £3.99
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 18:14 »
I've no idea what varieties they are and therefore whether they are self-fertile or not.

However, one thing you need to be careful about with fruit trees is the size they will reach.  This is determined by the rootstock onto which the variety is grafted.  If you get a large, or unrestricted rootstock, the tree will get very large over time.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 21:48 »
I think the pear trees they have are Conference and Williams which are partially self-fertile but will always produce a better crop if another tree is present nearby. I have a six year old conference in my garden which has only produced half a dozen fruit in all that time...but I'm ever hopeful!

4 Seasons

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 23:14 »
Pear trees are difficult to get to fruit even with several pollinators so I doubt you would have much luck with just one tree.
But you might just enjoy having it in your garden which is a good enough reason to plant one and remind yourself of the saying, 'Better to travel than arrive'.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 13:39 »
I had a plum tree from either Aldi or Lidl can't remember which one now. Anyway it grew way too big and didn't  even flower in the 4 years we had it so we dug it up and bought a Victoria plum tree from the garden centre. 

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 14:21 »
We also have a couple of their plum trees and never seen a flower...they're firewood if nothing happens this year

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 20:04 »
well i got the opposite from aldi dwarf plum,pear,cherry,and apple ...apple not very big 2 apples,cherrynot very big but loads of fruit pear and plum 12 to 15 feet still going and loads of fruit ..must have big dwarfs lol

diospyros

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 08:22 »
My parents had a couple of espalier Conference in their garden for many years which fruited heavily.  No other varieties even nearby, I'm sure.  Maybe the restriction on their growth from training them sideways had more to do with the increased fruiting.  As many pears in my experience just want to go up and up...

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:39 »
Cherry tree (Stella) has given fruit from year 1, Plum (Opal) has grow very large and has now started to fruit (6 plums) after 4 years. Two 'Bramleys' fruited first year, but not with Bramley apples, so were turfed out. The problem with the trees is that you're not told what rootstock they're on, so it's a bit of a gamble, but for the price and convenience, I reckon it's worth a punt as long as the trees are newly in store as you don't want one that's sprouting soft growth now.

xx
Pear and Plum trees

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 11:08
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Pruning plum and pear trees

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 21:33
by Lee1978
xx
Curled leaves on pear and plum trees

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 17:52
by carlrmj
xx
Pear, plum and apple trees in Scotland

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 15:14
by dmg

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 34 queries.