Newbie here, Hi and help please

• 1 Replies

Marky

« on: March 20, 2006, 19:16 »
Evening all, newbie Marky here.Have just taken the decision that tesco and co are getting far to much of my money for a very poor product.Have just cleared a patch in the garden to start growing my own veg.Bought all the seeds I need last weekend, and have sown some in doors.
My question is this, I have in the airing cupboard some mixed seeds in a root trainer box, they are Toms, lettuce and some chillis.Everthing is just starting to germinnate after 4 days, except the Chillis, so how long should I leave the new shooting seeds in the dark before I extract them and place them on the windowsill ?

Sorry if this seems stupid, I have NEVER grown my own before, altho I did spend 8 years in Agriculture when I left school.

Thanks in advance

Marky

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 21:00 »
I would have had them on the windowsill all along as long as it was warm enough for peppers to germinate (23C or thereabouts). If the plants need light to germinate, they will say do not cover or only cover lightly. If they don't need light to germinate, they just say plant them however deep as needed. You only really put stuff in the dark if you're going to eat the sprouts since they grow differently when in the light.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx
Another New Newbie

Started by Startled Sprout on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2006, 23:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 35 queries.