Horse manure

• 7 Replies

brianc

Horse manure
« on: February 01, 2014, 16:27 »
I have access to some horse manure but I have been told that I will get a lot of weeds because apparently horses can't digest seeds. Is this true

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Re: Horse manure
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 16:49 »
I guess it depends what the horses have been eating and where the manure has been stored. I get loads from a friend who feeds her horses on some kind of special organic horse pellets and poo picks their field every day, piling the manure in a big heap in the corner. It's wonderful stuff and the only time I've had anything approaching a weed problem was when I scraped right down to the bottom of the pile and took some of the underlying soil. I use loads of it without any problems.

brianc

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 17:48 »
Thankyou for your quick reply. The manure that I can get is what is cleaned out of the stable and is full of wood chips. Spreading this mix on the plot will be a waste of time do you agree. What a nice topic at teatime.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 17:50 »
Leave it to rot for at least a year and you must be sure that herbicide has not been used on the hay for the horses.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 20:02 »
from what i gather manure with wood shavings and chips will just take longer to break down, i got some a year ago with lots of sawdust and thats only taken a year to fully break down.

i was under the impression that the high heat thats generated inside the heap and lack of light should kill the seeds and / or make them not germinate.

i've spread this manure on the plot now so i will find out in the spring.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 20:12 »
Brianc - I use it exactly as you are talking about... I grew over half a tonne of veg last season so it does work. I layer it on 3-4" thick, dig it in then before planting out I add some fertilizer and fork it in... Ive done it for years on flower garden, my rooftop garden, garden shares and at my allotment.

I have a few patches of grains sprouting out now and again but no real problems with the seeds in the manure.
2013-08-18 11.04.59L_rs.jpg
20130803_161919L_rs.jpg
IMG_1103L_rs.jpg
IMG_0988L_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 20:14 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

rainie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11 »
If a horse is fed too much grain, the excess will pass through the horse I digested. This doesn't really happen very often as it is obviously false economy. I wouldn't worry too much about too many weeds. If the muck you are putting onto your land has visible grain in it, then yes this will grow, but to be honest I don't think it's going to be much.

My pony is eats grass and hay and I don't get grass seeds growing or thistles. I tend to put the muck straight into the ground rather than a muck heap and it doesn't get hot. I occasionally get a splurge of nettle but the first pull of this and it doesnt return. I never know if it's just a few seeds blown over from the nettles I leave for the ladybirds.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

alexroyall85

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:16 »
Hi

I have used horse muck the same as what you are describing. I let it rot down for a year and it all seems fine. I have never had a problem with weeds popping up from seeds within the muck. I guess the longer that you can leave it to break down the better it will be. Hope this helps

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse manure

Started by theakston_uk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 22:50
by Yorkie
xx
Horse manure

Started by sunset on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 18:34
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.