Evie has gone home

• 15 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Evie has gone home
« on: February 01, 2010, 00:10 »
As you might recall, we had Evie the tabby rescue mummy and her kitten Lottie. Lottie settled in well but Evie has never fitted in.

She attacked most of our existing pack on site and despite calming hormones, pheremones and trying controlled introductions with her in a large dog cage (protecting all parties whilst they got to know each other) things went from bad to worse.

Evie got on with one of cats, Willow, but the rest were terrified of her. Pixie (semi-feral) was hardly to be seen, old Squeak got beaten up twice and super sloppy Dexter who tried to let the kitten suckle him, despite him being a boy just kept fluffing and running whenever he saw her.

So, with great regret and feelings of failure, we took her back up to Cara's today. The journey was awful - she managed to wet in the basket and then escape it whilst we were on the M62 at 70mph.  

Finally got to Cara's and took her in to the room where she had the kittens at Phil's house. She immediately started purring and settled in (encouraged by a plate of Grannie Annies home reared chicken, no less)

She seems happier now than she's been for the 6 weeks we've been trying to integrate her.

Back home (my new scent "La wee du chat" seems to really interest all the cats) we found a new atmosphere - all our mob seem happy for the first time in ages. Kitten is missing her a little but Willow is being a surrogate mother.

I know we've done the right thing - but we really wish it had worked out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 00:36 by John »
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Trillium

Re: Evie has gone home
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 00:18 »
Not everything turns out as we hope. You did the best thing for the animals which is most important. Congrats on a tough decision (even if you do smell a bit odd  :lol:)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57 »
Failure? What failure  ??? Evie will be happy at Caras, your other cats plus Lottie will be happy with you - even if you do smell  :lol: So all in all just purrrfect  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:02 »
you tried your best and lottie will love to be in your pack.  Evie will find a new home - perhaps she needs to be an only cat ....  a diva keeping her house and humans.  Since they cant tell us, we can only try!

PS  -  that sounds like one horrible trip! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:31 »
Cara said she was on her knee and purring away when she went back in the evening. She saw one of Phil's cats and no reaction beyond a blink - which is great. We were allowed to stroke her but she never seemed to positively like us - we were just tolerated like visitors.

I didn't like splitting her from kitten either but that's just me being silly. Cat's naturally split from them after 8 to 10 weeks. But they did play well together.

noshed

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35 »
I gave a lift to my friends and their ill cat once. Never did get the smell out of the car.
I'm sure Evie and everybody else will be happier - it was the best decision to make.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:53 »
Perhaps she was angling for this all along?  'Play up here and I might get to go back to Cara and Phil??'

But in the end, everyone is happy again.

I took on 2 Amberlinks for a couple the other week.  they were from one of my earlier flocks.  the lady said oh they don't like it when other chickens are introduced, so we thought we'd re-home these 2 and buy 4 new ones.

One night I put them in with my layers and the 2 warrens Cara gave me.  there were no arguments, just the odd peck and chase round the run and 3 little gangs. my oldies, the abmers and the warrens, but within a week one big flock.  When she came to visit, she couldn't believe I'd had no trouble from her ambers!  See, they know what they want!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:49 »
The situation reminds me of the lovely young cat who was driven from our garden whenever he set foot in it yet the stinky old one eyed, half eared tom was welcomed like the second coming to spray the kitchen.

I think we forget they're living creatures and, like us, don't always do as the book says.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:03 »
Trying your best to make things work is often not the best course of action.  Evie had a voice and you listened - Happy cats all round.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13 »
Evie Pops was a happy little girl this morning - lots of cuddles and headbutting with her loud purr engine engaged :wub: Thankfully she doesnt seem to be missing kitten much, but if she does start to I have little Spike kitten that can go over to play with her to keep her company. At the moment the decision hasn't been made of whether she gets to stay here or go to a new home (she's at Phil's house now and I'm tempted to try her at mine but I have had a fair bit of infighting here since Thorsy passed away and I dont want to make that worse). I don't think she would have a problem going to a house with one or two cats - it's just when faced with more that she gets all in a panic and fight mode (I have 7 at mine at the moment so maybe not the best idea!!!). I'm going to let her settle and then make a decision about where she goes (or let Phil make a decision  ;) ) as she does seem super happy being back at Phil's house  :)

Parsnip

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48 »
aaaw what a shame it didn't work out, but don't feel bad Val and John.. :(  I'm sure that you would have tried everything, sounds like Evie is happy now.. :D

I can understand you feeling bad, I probably would myself, but you shouldn't.. :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 13:03 »
I just had to pop back to Evie as I realised I had forgot to give her the calming drugs she is on. I went into her and she climbed onto my shoulders and suckled my hair (something she did a lot before giving birth) and we then had a mad ten minute play session. I left the door open to see if she was searching for kitten and she only went where I was and didnt seem worried at all at being on her own. If she does have to go to another home I think she would like to go live on her own ideally with someone who can give her lots of fuss and attention and outdoor space :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 18:08 »
I wish I could have her Cara  :(  I'd have to get rid of Worzel first though  :lol: :lol: :lol:

janet12000

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 18:27 »
I cant imagine Evie going anywhere.
She is a forum legend.  :D

Parsnip

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 18:51 »
I cant imagine Evie going anywhere.
She is a forum legend.  :D

Hear hear!  We've got the problem that most of us already have more than one cat though.. :(

I'm sure Cara and her powers of persuasion will find her somewhere tho.. ;)

xx
How can I re-home Mums cat?

Started by Slowgrind on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 15:27
by arugula
xx
The cat I brought home .............

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

39 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 08:20
by madcat
xx
Forever home

Started by snowdrops on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 09:15
by snowdrops
xx
Why come home via the gate when....

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 17:29
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 40 queries.