Sweet Potato Time 2012

• 165 Replies

Eblana

Re: Sweet Potato Time 2012
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2012, 12:47 »
I am just looking through this thread and was thinking that I would love to try these next year.  When is the best time to start the tubers into growth in the water to get the little buds for planting on?

Trillium

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2012, 15:26 »
The sweet potato plants 'slips' can take a long time to appear so I suggest you find a nice sweet potato and get it started around December/January, no later. Some people are lucky and the slips begin to sprout immediately, others find it takes a few months for something to show up.  Once they do show up and they're at least 3" tall, you carefully twist them off the tuber and pot them up so they start their own roots which become your tuber harvest. I'd even recommend you get 2 or 3 potatoes started in case 2 are real slowpokes. The cost is minimal and the results will be more positive.

If the potted slips show up early, then all the better because a rotted plant needs at least 4 months of WARM weather. In the UK, you could add an extra month or two for growing time.

You can also figure out how to shelter your growing plant in summer with some sort of closed coldframe to retain heat, a mini greenhouse/cloche, etc. They also don't like drowning so you have time to figure where your best growing spot for them is.

Trillium

« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2012, 15:28 »
I used to grow the most awesome Sweet Potatoes when I lived in Kenya! The bed middle left:

:D Bet you wish for some of that warm weather in the UK. Gorgeous sweet potatoes.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2012, 14:31 »
This was our first year of trying and really didnt have much luck. the slips we ordered didnt arrive until mid june.
They plants grew well but the potatoes only grew to the thickness of a finger if that.

May give them another go next year
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Eblana

« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2012, 21:22 »
The sweet potato plants 'slips' can take a long time to appear so I suggest you find a nice sweet potato and get it started around December/January, no later. Some people are lucky and the slips begin to sprout immediately, others find it takes a few months for something to show up.  Once they do show up and they're at least 3" tall, you carefully twist them off the tuber and pot them up so they start their own roots which become your tuber harvest. I'd even recommend you get 2 or 3 potatoes started in case 2 are real slowpokes. The cost is minimal and the results will be more positive.

If the potted slips show up early, then all the better because a rotted plant needs at least 4 months of WARM weather. In the UK, you could add an extra month or two for growing time.

You can also figure out how to shelter your growing plant in summer with some sort of closed coldframe to retain heat, a mini greenhouse/cloche, etc. They also don't like drowning so you have time to figure where your best growing spot for them is.

Thanks Trillium - I have used this method of propagation for Dahlias in the past.  I will start them going in the next month or so and I will keep them in the Polytunnel next year.

bigfatwallet

• My Blog
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2012, 12:10 »
Interesting read and learnt a few things so thanks.

Not a big fan myself but the wife loves them. Might have to give them a go if I have enough room on the lotty.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27 »
Love the photo from Kenya, Trillium  :D

Thank you
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2012, 14:57 »
The photo is actually from rowan57, Sunny  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2012, 19:15 »

Daft me, or what  :wacko:

Sorry, rowan57  :)

I did think it odd as you'd never before mentioned a sojourn in Kenya, Trillium  :lol:

No excuses, except not properly awake at the time I guess  :blink:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2012, 18:20 »
The best I can do is maybe lift them off the cold floor and insulate them a bit.  But it is only going to get colder now.  Not looking encouraging.  Oh well, it'll just complete a bum year in the garden. :(
The top growth has well and truly died back now, so I chanced another look and one of the remaining bags, but no, as I thought, there are no roots bigger than my little finger and most smaller.  It just hasn't been warm enough, poor things.
In a warmer year they might have made it but not this year.
Don't think I'll bother next year.
Anne

Trillium

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2012, 01:40 »
For those interested in trying sweet potatoes here are a couple of videos on it:

LINK

2nd LINK

UK weather might be a bit cool and wet for sweet potatoes so cold frames or greenhouses are highly recommended.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2012, 18:13 »

Daft me, or what  :wacko:

Sorry, rowan57  :)

I did think it odd as you'd never before mentioned a sojourn in Kenya, Trillium  :lol:

No excuses, except not properly awake at the time I guess  :blink:

No problem  :D I have sojourned in Kenya a number of times, in fact I was just there for a week with work, what a beautiful country.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2012, 21:10 »
Dug up the last Sweet Potato up today from the allotment ,as you can see they look very good, and they tasted very good to .the biggest was 7ins x 4ins
IMG_1059.jpg
bazial

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04 »
Dug up the last Sweet Potato up today from the allotment ,as you can see they look very good, and they tasted very good to .the biggest was 7ins x 4ins
I'm quite envious! :wub:

Trillium

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2012, 20:32 »
Very nice haul. How did you keep them warm during growing time?

xx
The Great sweet potato experiment! 2010

Started by aelf on Growing FAQs and other Information

182 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:16
by mumofstig
xx
sweet potatoes 2011

Started by Trillium on Growing FAQs and other Information

154 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 21:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet potatoes (kumara)

Started by always_mowing on Growing FAQs and other Information

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 16:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 54 queries.