Harvesting Courgettes?

• 82 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Harvesting Courgettes?
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2010, 17:46 »
I'm going to shove this thread over to Cooking Storing & Preserving as that's what it's become  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15 »
left them in the bottom of the fridge! Shame on you. 

i'm sorry compostqueen,    i just like growing things from a little age and now i can, i just go crazy growing things  :lol:. if i had more space i'd grow a lot more of everything and i didn't realize how many would grow on a single plant times how many of them i had grown  :wub:

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 13:31 »
I made some of the River Cottage Glutney chutney at the weekend, followed the recipe to the letter as I've not made chutney before.
I don't know what I did wrong but I seemed to have loads of excess liquid, I ended up removing the excess after reducing it for 6 hours, and probably removed about a pint.
Next time I'm only going to use 500ml of the Vinegar rather than 750ml made up to a litre.
Has anyone else found this, or did I do something wrong.

Livinhope

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 13:55 »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Yes, did the same with jam, no matter how long I boiled it the amount seemed to stay the same.  I made the Glutney last week and added less wine vinegar and it's smashing stuff, thick and 'holds together'.  I imagine the amount of water in the fruit or veg could make quite a difference so erring on the cautious side wide the added liquid seems to be the way.

Livinhope

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 13:57 »
Another thought.  If you had kept the liquid you strained off you could have rounded up some more veg and chutneyed that as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 13:59 »
I don't know why they add any water :unsure:....I have never added any, I just use the amount of vinegar they tell you to use (no rounding up with water) as there is enough moisture already in the fruit and veg :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 14:02 by mumofstig »

Livinhope

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 21:54 »
I don't know why they add any water :unsure:....I have never added any, I just use the amount of vinegar they tell you to use (no rounding up with water) as there is enough moisture already in the fruit and veg :)

I didn't add water, couldn't see the point especially when you have 'wet' veg like courgettes and tomatoes.

Growster...

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 14:43 »
I was given a tip for courgette dip, and tried it yesterday, but as a side dish in a salad.

Peel most of the skin off, slice with a spud basher, leave in strips, and, add a few fresh peas, some mint and a splosh of vinaigrette!

Can't wait for the next batch tonight!

xx
Chillis - harvesting and storage

Started by ambodach on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2022, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
Cold evenings and harvesting squash and pumpkins

Started by Yana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 22:32
by gobs
xx
raw courgettes eew?

Started by gardener247 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 16:47
by andreadon
xx
New use for courgettes

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 18:01
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.