Harvesting Courgettes?

• 82 Replies

Rizo

Harvesting Courgettes?
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:26 »
When can they be harvested?
as in size wise and how long can they stay attached for in size?

also do i just use a sharp knife and cut then off at the beginning on the fruit?

sorry for the questions but overnight they have had a monster growing session, got 3 about 5 inches long  8) courgettes that is  :tongue2: :lol:

Jon

Livinhope

Re: Harvesting Courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:37 »
The longer you leave courgettes the bigger they grow and you end up with marrows.  Size depends on personal taste.  I cut two last night which were both 7 inches long, but they can be cut smaller (say 3 inches) and cooked whole, in this case you would have three or four per person.  I personally cut the stem in half so that there is about 1/2 inch still attached to the fruit.  No doubt you will get a variety of answers. ::)

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:38 »
I cut them from anything between 3 to 7 inches; mainly because if you leave them they get too fluffy inside and I like courgettes not marrows. I would rather have a few smaller ones and them keep coming than fewer large ones.

I currently have 10 in the fridge, all 5-7 inches - we are picking 5-6 a day and 10-12 if we leave it a couple of days.....:eek:

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 14:37 »
I too prefer them no longer than about 5". I missed a few that turned into baseball bats and they weren't nice at all, particularly all the large seeds  :tongue2:  But a few of the huge ones will get turned into a wonderful relish for hot dogs, sausages and hamburgers.

Rizo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 15:55 »
thanks for all your replies :)

I'm going to leave them till tomorrow afternoon before i pick them.

I got another 8 forming  :ohmy: i can see i'm having courgettes with everything for the next few weeks  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 16:22 »
Don't you mean the next few months  :ohmy:  :lol:

Rizo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 16:58 »
do they keep growing flowers/courgettes then?

once i cut them off will it grow another?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 17:16 »
Yes and yes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:13 »
Rizo,

DD's answer is a simple way of answering your question.

Anyone who has previously grown courgettes will be able to tell you that you cannot stop them producing fruit until the first frosts kill them off.

Never turn your back on a courgette plant because, as soon as you do, it will produce more courgettes or double/treble the size of the existing ones.  :)
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

titch

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:04 »
I used some surplus ones in chutney last year - any chutney I made had courgette in!! Without the sins they made a wonderful bulking agent so my chutneys went further.
For some reason I thought planting five plants instead of two this year was a good idea, going to be making a lot more chutney this year I think, plus keeping work mates in courgettes ;)
just keep breathing................

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 07:27 »
I used some surplus ones in chutney last year - any chutney I made had courgette in!! Without the sins they made a wonderful bulking agent so my chutneys went further.
For some reason I thought planting five plants instead of two this year was a good idea, going to be making a lot more chutney this year I think, plus keeping work mates in courgettes ;)

I've got five as well ! (got all my courgettes, squashes and pumpkins mixed up in transit to the lotty so I wasn't entirely sure what I'd planted out until a few weeks later !!).
I'm giving away lots but also making courgette soup for the freezer.

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26 »
Without the sins they made a wonderful bulking agent

Where do you get these "holier than thou" courgettes from?

Babstreefern

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:36 »
I've got yellow round ones this year instead of the usual banana shaped green ones.  And yes, they keeping coming.  I must have missed one when I last picked them, because its the size of a honeydew melon :ohmy:
Babs

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38 »
The folklore round these parts is that you get a courgette flower for every leaf. I'm not sure if that's really true or not.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 13:18 »
i remembered when i 1st started growing, i grew 5 courgette plants and every 2 or 3 days we had 4 courgettes to pick and cook, got a bit bored of them after a while and gave a few away. soon we left a few and they turned into massive marrows, which we did not cook because we didn't know what to do with them   ???  , eventually they rotted away and threw them out. bottom shelf of the fridge had a few lying around which we forgot about and threw them away.

we have them slightly bigger about 10" but i think the smaller the better the taste.

xx
Chillis - harvesting and storage

Started by ambodach on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2022, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
Cold evenings and harvesting squash and pumpkins

Started by Yana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 22:32
by gobs
xx
Too many courgettes?

Started by HilaryG on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 13:06
by Beetroot queen
xx
raw courgettes eew?

Started by gardener247 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 16:47
by andreadon

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 36 queries.