Cut and come salad

• 8 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Cut and come salad
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:30 »
Sorry for such a lot of questions but is there a big difference between this cut and come again salad and normal salad, like the different mixed leaves etc.  I bought some normal mixed salad leaves seeds from morrisons, and they are coming up well, but steadily, just wondered in the cut and come again is faster or is it just a gimmick.  To keep a constant small amount flowing, how often do you successionally sow?  On the packet it says every two weeks but that is a lot of space, Im talking on the window ledge.  Im not sowing it at the allotment.

Cheers
Amanda

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Cut and come salad
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00 »
I don't think it's that much faster, it's just that you pick the leaves smaller rather than letting the plant grow to maturity. Some veg varieties are "baby" varieties and have been bred to grow small, but not the case with most salads.
How big is the tray you are growing in? Could you divide it so you have one half planted and one half ready to sow and just swap ends as you go? You will have to feed, or change the compost at some point. I never quite get the successional thing right, if you have any outdoor space, rocket is good to grow and tends to self seed and need little attention, mine has survived the last 2 winters.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13 »
I wouldn't say they're a gimmick, but there are a lot more mixtures available now than a few years ago, and for me some work better than others (I usually avoid "oriental spicy" mixes because they usually contain various types of mustards which often seem to run straight to seed without producing much usable leaf.)

As Janey said, they are salad plants which are harvested before reaching maturity, which means you can pick more than once, and also plant them much closer together.

As for how often to sow, it's really a question of how much of it you want to eat, bearing in mind that later in the summer you may be starting to experience salad-fatigue and wanting to eat some of the other veg you may be growing!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:16 »
I harvest little gem lettuce as cut and come again. You can do this two or three times per plant. :) After that, it can tend to become bitter.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47 »
Hi Amanda,  I sow a small trays (15x20cm ish size) every 1-2 weeks.  usually have 4 or 5 on the go at any one time and rotate which one I pick from to give the others time to grow back - after a couple of harvests from each one I'll chuck it and sow again with fresh seeds and continue the cycle.
this gives me enough to be able to have a couple of salads every week and there's always a few fresh leaves for a sandwich or two (for two people) 

jrko

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 17:01 »
just grow normal leaves and pick the bottom 3-4 leaves when they get to a decent size.  the heart then grows out and you pick the next few leaves.

no successional sowing needed
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:57 »
They aren't a gimmick! Successional sowing works. If you eat a lot of salad but want a selection (as I do) then it's a guarantee of quick leaves which are always to hand for your sarni, salad, garnish etc  :)  They cut and come again about three times

I also grow full sized lettuces out on the plot but always have leaf mixtures on the go under cover where they keep clean and free frost nibble holes  :)  I love the oriental leaf mixes too

I make my own mixtures too so you can eat what you like. Rocket usually features

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 23:27 »
I notice Lidl have got their cut and come again lettuce trays in again for £1.
Now.....you can keep it on the window sill and take off small leaves occasionally OR divide into 60 (yes....about 50/60) plants and plant outside in troughs or pots.
In a couple of weeks you'll be taking the bottom leaves and you can leave some to grow to full heart. They'll keep you in lettuce for ages without sowing a seed.
I was really impressed by their selection of 3 lettuces last year. Some even came through the winter outside! Along with the winter lettuce they are now huge and starting to bolt and are a bit bitter but we quite like that!
Got some little plants ready to go in and I'm sowing more this w/e.
Anyone for lettuce?
LOVE IT!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10 »
Me to and especially my own home grown stuff.  Mixed leaves like from the shops only cheap as chips   :)  I had some yesterday with a delish citrus dressing and I topped the lot off with some freshly snipped chives off the patio

You know the bitter leaves, well you can cut them across the leaf if you find them too bitter. They say breaking the cells renders them less bitter. 

xx
salad bed

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 21:38
by clairebeau
xx
cut and come salad leaf

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 19:04
by Plottered
xx
salad leaves

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:34
by Madame Cholet
xx
Salad/new potatoes

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 21:57
by chris23005

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.